Style > Fashion

The Catalina Wine Mixer Wardrobe Essentials You Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s the time of year again everybody… it’s getting colder which means the end of the darty season on the lot. However, this also means that it’s time for everyone’s favorite event at Holy Cross, the Catalina Wine Mixer. This event is inspired by the movie “Step Brothers” where the main characters go to an extremely preppy party on Catalina island. To get ready for this big event, you need to get your preppiest outfit ready! 

a coat

Although it has been an abnormally warm fall, it’s mid-November now, and it is starting to get chilly. Because Catalina is outside, you are definitely going to need a jacket. In order to keep in with the preppy theme, I’d recommend wearing either a fur coat or a plaid jacket.

sunglasses

Because this event is outside during the day, you’re definitely going to need some shades to protect your eyes. I personally love the cat eye look for this preppy occasion.

Plaid skirt or dress

Most people wear plaid skirts to this event, but you do not have to. Twill, wool, houndstooth, and polka dots are other preppy options. If you don’t want to wear a skirt, you can even layer a dress over a turtleneck sweater for a 90s look. Wear whatever suits your fancy, but definitely do not forget tights because it’s going to be chilly.

boots

For shoes I’d recommend thigh highs or booties, just make sure they are not ones you care about too much, as they will most likely get dirty in the lot.

hair accessories

To complete the look, add some hair accessories. Think Blair Waldorf in the fall, a headband or pearl clips are the perfect finishing touch. 

Hannah Delea

Holy Cross '23

Hannah Delea is a current junior at Holy Cross pursuing a degree in political science and a self designed interdisciplinary minor called "business, ethics, and society". She loves all things beauty and fashion, as well as health and fitness, which you can read more about in her articles.