This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Sustainable fashion is rewarding for both our environment and our wallets. Circling numerous brands, the concept of a ‘re-sell’ or, in Lululemon terms, a ‘like-new’,  have been taking the fashion industry by storm. These systems, similar to thrifting, consist of consumers returning clothes they no longer get use out of or wear. The twist, however, is that big name stores become part of the process by allowing their customers some compensation or store credit! With sustainability and the environment in mind, this is a great incentive to continue shopping for the brands you love, even when you have outgrown an item.

In an industry where online shopping dominates, it can be challenging to keep track of where your clothing comes from and how it is produced. While often overlooked due to pricing and convenience, it is an environmentally conscious decision to consider and make when expanding your closet.

One of my favorite brands recently has been Matilda Djerf’s business, Djerf Avenue. For a while, I was sold solely on her social media presence and how aesthetic the clothes looked on her Instagram. However, after now owning three products, I understand why these products are top tier aside from the aesthetic. The materials are soft yet sturdy, providing the ideal relaxed-fit look. While the staple pieces are perfect for your closet and any occasion, they are also all ethically produced. Standing out from many fast-fashion brands, Djerf Avenue provides its customers with great quality products, produced in ethical factories located in Portugal and Sweden.

To endorse their sustainable beliefs, Djerf Avenue is launching a ‘re-sell’ for their customers. While it is still in the works, this feature is a step in the right direction for the industry, promoting less clothing waste. For more information regarding their capsule-closet-approved looks and who they are as a brand, visit https://djerfavenue.com/en-us/about-us/.

Lululemon is another clothing brand who has rebranded their sustainability priorities. This workout brand is known for its stretchy materials and high prices. Sometimes we cannot justify the leggings, which range from $88-168 depending on style and material. While the costs can be out of range for most, they have stolen the hearts of most of their clientele, especially with the athleisure trend taking over our everyday lives.

On the Lululemon website, there is now a ‘like-new’ tab, which allows customers to shop used Lululemon products turned in by other consumers. This page also includes styles from the brand that went out of style or are no longer manufactured. This page relies on returned used products which consumers turn in for store credit in the form of an e-gift card. This a perfect way to thrift used Lululemon products for cheaper while also contributing to an ethical shopping method! This launch is a way to shop for less and repurpose for a girl who lives in their aligns, workouts in longline sports bras, and adorned their headbands throughout her childhood. Whether it is the classic vintage shopping hunts, Goodwill trips, or the up-and-coming online ‘re-sells,’ it is essential to shop consciously.

Gioia Guarino

Holy Cross '23

Bostonian, Creative