Spreading Holiday Cheer For All To Hear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The holiday season is in FULL swing and that means stringing colorful lights all over your dorm room, watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas with your roomie at least three times (make that twenty times), constantly sporting fuzzy holiday-themed socks (it’s like walking on a CLOUD!), and writing Wish Lists to Santa (I believe!! *cue the Polar Express bells*). The gift that should be at the top of your list this year? Giving!  There truly is no better gift to receive than the one you get through giving to others.  Just as the lights on the trees sparkle on the snow-covered branches, add some twinkle to someone’s else life this holiday season by offering your love and time to those who need it most. The smallest gesture can have the biggest impact on someone’s day, season, or even life- so take a break from your tireless studying and spread cheer this year with these fun, heart-warming ideas. Happy Holidays!!

Dear Santa Claus:

What better way to express your love than through a handwritten note to your loved ones?! Old fashioned snail mail is a personal, heartfelt way to show how much you care. Make it extra fun with chic winter stationery & head on over to the Hogan Post Office and send away!

He Even Cut the Roast Beast:

The holiday season wouldn’t be the same without scrumptious treats and delicious comfort food. We are blessed to have food on our table and full bellies after each meal, but many people, especially in the city of Worcester, are not quite as fortunate.  Let’s lend a hand to our community around the holidays and donate to a local food drive.  If your RA has organized a collection box in your hallway to be donated to a Worcester charity like mine, be sure toss a few food items in! Otherwise, make the worthwhile trip with your friends to the Worcester Food Bank- a few food items can make a difference.

Milk & Cookies:

Say thank you (and bon apétit!) to your professors for all of their hard work and care by baking them a batch of your signature sweet sugar cookies.  The thought of baking from scratch have you freezing over with fear?  Pick up some premade dough, add some festive sprinkles, and toss ‘em in the oven!

Ring-a-Ling, Hear Them Ring:

Between school work and maintaining some sort of a social life, not to mention trying to catch a couple of z’s every once in awhile, the non-stop life of a collegiate can leave you weary and the stress of college life can consume you, especially at the height of finals. So, remind yourself of what is truly important: your relationships with your loved ones. Take a few minutes out of your day to call your grandparents to tell them how excited you are to light the Menorah and bake latkes with them or wish your ill Aunt well as she struggles to overcome the flu. Reaching out to the people who make your life so bright will in turn bring joy to their lives.

Holiday Wishlist 2014:

Make it your priority to make a real difference this December! Children wait all year for gifts from Santa and highly anticipate the moment in which they awake from their slumber to presents under the tree, while many elderly long for company around the holidays. The unfortunate truth, however, is that not every child gets to experience this magical moment, and some elderly are without companionship. In an effort to change these circumstances, consider donating a few gifts to the Boys and Girls Club in Worcester, clean clothing to the Nativity School of Worcester, or help decorate for the holidays at the Worcester Senior Center.  For an excellent list of ideas, view the 2014 Wishlist for ways to give in Central Mass this holiday season: http://www.unitedwaycm.org/images/uploads/pdfs/wishlist%202014%20for%20web.pdf

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

Invite your friends to accompany you to the Christmas Tree Lighting Thursday, December 4th! Gather around your fellow Crusaders to ring in the holiday season and listen to the beautiful music performed by multiple groups at HC along with the boys choir at the Nativity School of Worcester. Rev. James Hayes S.J. will light the tree and provide a blessing. Special Guest: SANTA!!