RELIEVING TRAVEL ANXIETY: HOW TO BEST PREPARE FOR YOUR JOURNEY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Traveling can be terrifying; The stress of TSA, keeping all of your documents straight, and the fear of being unfamiliar.  This past break I traveled to Ireland, almost spontaneously, and learned a lot about myself and travel in general. Here are my best tips for a practically flawless journey.

1. Give yourself PLENTY of time

This rule starts from the moment you are heading to the airport. You need to give yourself significantly more time than you think. It is crucial when you are traveling to make the most of your time, therefore you do not want to miss out on any opportunities. If it is a 15-minute walk away, account for 20 (even if you are a fast walker) as you never know what roadblocks you will encounter on the way.

1. Book as much as possible in advance

It is quite obvious that you will book your flights and hotels in advance, but even making reservations for dinner can really elevate your experience. Having a loose plan, even if you do not stick to it, can really help alleviate stress. If it is something you did not pay for, such as a dinner reservation, then going is completely optional, but it can act as a backup plan if nothing else sounds appealing. Also even if you are going during an “off-season” or at an odd time, book tickets for attractions in advance. This helps you move through lines quicker and have a reserved spot in case it does fill up.

1. Research the basics beforehand

Not every place uses Uber, as I found in Cork, Ireland they use this app called FreeNow which I never would have found otherwise, and was imperative to my travels as I could not drive. Knowing how much to tip at restaurants and general service places also can vary from place to place. The final “basic” is mapping how far certain things are from other places, such as walking distance from the hotel to a museum and then to a restaurant. This research allows you to see what is close together and creates a more efficient day.

1. Give yourself time to breathe

Traveling is overwhelming for many reasons so as tempting as it may be to squeeze everything in, it is not worth sacrificing your well-being. I have learned that taking a red-eye flight is helpful to get adjusted to the time, but I am unable to do anything important on the first day I arrive. There is nothing worse than getting off a plane and feeling gross and then having to go walk and pay attention to a tour. I have learned to count this day out in the sense of keeping it simple. Keep the day simple, with the afternoon available to check into your hotel as soon as possible.

1. Enjoy every moment

Simple as that. Find something to laugh about in the mistakes and pitfalls. Every second can be a “memory making moment” if you want it to be!

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.