This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I have always loved painting my own nails, and there are so many benefits to doing them yourself. First off, it is significantly cheaper than getting them done. You can change the color whenever you feel like it, and it is relaxing (at least to me). So, over the summer I was looking into getting a gel or acrylic nail kit, and I have heard about polygel from TikTok, so I figured I would give the polygel kit a try. 

I bought a kit with 10 different color gels, a UV lamp, forms, base and top coat, slip solution, different nail sequins, gold foil, nail clips, and a file. When I got it, the entire set was around $20. My mindset was if it did not work, then no big deal, it wasn’t a huge expensive kit, but I had been wanting it for so long that I figured it was now or never. 

Here’s the kit I ordered! Last time I checked it was sold out but there are so many other kits by this company.

I’ve tried them out three separate times, and I feel I finally got the hang of it. My first two times trying it did not last too long, but my third time they stayed on for over a week, and it would have been longer if I had not picked at them. The website says they last for about three weeks, and I do not fully agree with this, but I’d say they could probably last up to two weeks if you take your time with the application process. 

I genuinely do really like the kit, it was slightly disappointing that the nails didn’t last very long my first two times, but again, it was a fairly cheap kit so I am not too surprised. However, for the price, and even the simplicity of it, I really like it. It is a fun, cheap way to do my nails, and the process for application, and removal are both fairly simple. 

If you wanna try out a new way to do your nails or want to achieve longer nails without acrylics, I highly recommend a polygel nail kit!

Callie Gillan

Holy Cross '26

Callie is a current sophomore at Holy Cross and is studying Political Science and Psychology. In her free time she loves reading, trying new coffee places and going to the beach.