BTC CPL?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC CPL?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

Packing for Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

When Googling “things to bring to College” as a high school student, you will find a list of many none necessary items that you will never use and will take up space in your room all year long. Realistically, you don’t need to bring a long list of items from your home to fill up space in your tiny dorms. 

As for clothes, bring whatever you want! But one thing to not forget is pajamas! 

As for shoes: you only need a pair of beater shoes that will turn brown from weekend parties. A pair of slippers, A pair of boots, shower shoes, working out sneakers, and like three pairs of your favorite shoes for class. You’re going to do a lot of walking, so you want something cute and comfortable! When it comes to socks, overpack the amount you bring because the washing machine will eat them; this goes for undergarments as well. 

As for health needs, bring melatonin, vitamins, Tylenol or Advil, and cough drops. There is no need for that crazy first-aid kit your mother forces into the packed car. You can bring band-aids if you are prone to cutting yourself while shaving, and honestly, you will. Shaving in the college shower stalls is a pain, but it’s not so bad once you get used to it! 

Shower needs, well, it’s up to you, a small shower caddy with your product favorites! Don’t forget lotion because your skin will be dry after using the shower. Reminder: don’t forget shower shoes/flip flops! 

Bring a practical laundry bin. Going up four flights of stairs is annoying when you have to carry the ones from home. Investing in a backpack-like laundry bag is really helpful! You also do not need multiple sets of sheets. You’ll find that you’re going to do your laundry and put everything anyway when you come back to the room on laundry days. You need tide pods and dryer sheets. 

Snacks and water! Water bottles are a needed item! Bring a sponge and a small bottle of soap! Dishes are a no-go. You will find you won’t actually use them. 

As for decor, you will want lots of pillows and some posters for the walls. You will also want a comfy pillow that you can use to sit upon while you’re hanging out. Also, bring room spray! 

Bring jewelry but not your nice jewelry; you will lose your rings or hoops at a party. And that is something you’ll never find again. Don’t forget hair clips, hair ties, and a blowdryer. Also, have a make-up bag instead of having it all out of your desk. It takes up space, and when you want to get ready with your friends in other rooms, it’s hard to pack up and go unless it’s in a make-up bag. 

Lastly, remember to not overpack, bring things you will only use! 

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer