This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

A Note from 2020: At the ripe age of 28, Miley Cyrus has found her groove. Entering the business of entertainment with similarity to her family, Miley has worn many different wigs. The classical Hannah Montana albums will forever be in our child-sized hearts. Breakout and The Time of Our Lives were the picture-perfect albums for a teen star beside the eyes of Disney and the ears of children’s parents. Can’t Be Tamed‘s release was Cyrus’ cry for an all-out change for a needed growth away from Disney and its demanding child appropriation image. Miley received many comments from critics for the change as she was still very popular with the children watching Disney.  Bangerz was the ultimate turnaround from her Disney days. With most songs mentioning drugs, sex, and school, Cyrus entered a new image with completely sexualized lyrics and attire. Miley was on the climb of a new area until the upsetting, unsuccessful release of Miley Cyrus and her Dead Pets. Her disturbing lyrics and vocals were thought to be the end of the Reign of Miley Cyrus. Alas, Miley cleaned up her act and began another reinvention with the single Malibu release leading to her sixth album, Younger Now.  

Miley’s right bridge over to the tremendous Plastic Hearts was her E.P., SHE IS COMING in 2019. The uptempo, catchy tunes such as Mother’s Daughter, Unholy, and D.R.E.A.M. was a successful release with everyone watching her and her mother’s music video. 

In my personal opinion, Miley’s music thrived during the different stages of her personal relationships with her ex-husband, Liam Hemsworth. Her discovery of her desires, feelings, self-discovery, and self-acknowledgement is shown in her work as an artist. 

So why is Plastic Hearts Miley’s best album yet? Not only has she found her sound in the Rock genre and used and driven by the 70s and 80s classic rock by using samples of famous artists such as Stevie Nicks, Billy Idol, and Oliva John-Newton, but Miley’s personal growth and identity are written between the melodies and harmonies throughout the album. Miley writes a song for everyone: heartbreak from the unique point of view of the heartbreaker, acceptance, self-truth, love, sex, and desire. It’s almost like Miley is sharing her feelings about her relationship with Liam Hemsworth. 

Miley pulls the attention of all ages by taking the sound of our “parent’s music” and connecting it to the upbeat, technical sound of today. For example, my serotonin source, Edge of Midnight (Midnight Sky Remix), with Stevie Nicks. Cyrus’ exception, impressive vocals, and layering have harmonies for every vocal style and ability to vibe alongside her. It’s relatable; the connecting sound has everyone blasting Plastic Hearts. 

Jumping forward to 2023: Miley continues to make musical discoveries within her voice. Cyrus’ new album Endless Summer Vacation consists of songs all across the borders within its genre of pop. There are sounds of the 80s, harmonies similar to Plastic Hearts within Violent Chemistry, multiple beautiful ballads, and emotional self-reflecting lyrics. Cyrus’ most recent single release is a new version of Wrecking Ball featuring her godmother, Dolly Parton. 

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer