This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I’ve pretty much lived in New York my whole life. I’ve lived in two NYC boroughs before my family moved out to Long Island. Despite my move, the city is still a place I’m familiar with and a place that brings me immense joy, especially during the holidays. You simply haven’t experienced holiday happiness until you get to have a festive day in NYC with your friends or family. So here are my favorite things to do this season while exploring NYC.

• Holiday Windows and Lights

Yes, it’s cliche, however, the amount of time and effort put into holiday window displays amazes me every year. It’s not just Macy’s that puts on a show, but also all down Fifth Avenue has amazing windows. Also, stop and look at some of the lights lining the buildings. Little Italy especially has some breathtaking Christmas lights, perfect for a photo op.

• Rooftop Lodges

Gallow Green, and other spots throughout the city, will again host rooftop lodges this year, that transport you to a cozy festive escape while enjoying cozy drinks and bites. Or even look for some of the Yurts set up for the winter, with a similar appeal. These are so cool and perfect for a day with friends. 

• Holiday Markets

Even though Bryant Park and Union Square may first come to mind when you’re thinking of holiday markets, keep your eyes peeled for others. For instance, Columbus Circle puts on a great one too! Grab your friends and go enjoy the markets.

• Try Some Treats

Go and try some nice warm cookies and hot chocolate. There’s an abundance of spots in NYC that offer delectable treats. My favorite cookie is the chocolate chip cookie from Macchiato Espresso Bar. Right when I get home for Thanksgiving, this will be the first treat I buy! 

• Don’t Over Plan

I think some of the best experiences I’ve had in the city are just from random discovery. You don’t need to stress yourself out by building a perfect itinerary. Pick a few spots and leave time to wander and explore, you never know what holiday magic you’ll find. 

As winter break approaches I highly recommend coming to visit New York. Don’t be scared to do traditional things as well, like going to the Rockafeller tree. Yes, movies and TV shows try to create the magic that the city has to offer during the holiday season, but they’ll never quite capture the true essence you feel when you get to explore it firsthand. So come visit and discover what the city has to offer!

Lauren Blum

Holy Cross '26

Hey, I’m Lauren, I'm a second year from Long Island, NY. I love making art, listening to music, and spending time with my dog.