This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Stepping into the vibrant world of cruelty-free makeup is a way to enhance your makeup collection while also being an ethical consumer. As a vegetarian, the choice to embrace makeup free from animal testing and harm becomes more than just a beauty preference- it’s a reflection of compassion. Cruelty-free makeup refers to cosmetic products that are developed and manufactured without any testing on animals. These products are created with a commitment to ethical practices, ensuring that no harm or suffering is inflicted upon animals in the process of testing or production. These animals range from mice, rabbits, dogs and many more. So let’s dive into some of my favorite Cruelty-Free brands. 

1. ELF cosmetics

ELF has been confirmed to not test any of their products on animals. This is also one of my favorite brands because their products have great quality while also being relatively cheap. My favorite ELF product is definitely the Power Grip Primer. 

1. BareMinerals

BareMinerals is also an amazing cruelty free brand. Not only is the packaging adorable, but the products are great too! My favorite is the Eco-Beautiful Deluxe Original Loose Mineral Foundation Spf 15. While this brand is more on the expensive side, the products and the brand’s mission are worth considering.

1. NYX

This is another one of my favorite brands that is endorsed by Peta. I’ve been loving the Fat Lip Oil! This specific product is a perfect alternative to Dior’s Lip Oil, as Dior is not a cruelty-free brand and is a lot more expensive than NYX.

1. Saie

Saie has been a recent addition to my collection that I’m absolutely obsessed with. Saie does not test any of their products on animals. The Dew Blush Liquid Cheek Blush, in shade Dreamy is a perfect berry shade for the winter. This brand is in the middle prise-wise, but definitely worth it.

1. Milk Makeup

Milk has always been a fully vegan brand. Their price range is more on the higher end, but the formula definitely justifies the price. As someone who can never have enough blush, I love their Lip and Cheek sticks.  

1. Rare Beauty 

This is definitely a very noteworthy cruelty-free brand. Rare Beauty is my favorite makeup company. I love everything they stand for and the company’s ethics. Selena Gomez is also one of my all time favorite celebrities. I recently purchased the Everyday Rose Lip Oil & Liner Duo, and it’s become a staple in my makeup routine. If you’re looking for cruelty-free brands, Rare Beauty should definitely be on the top of your list.

1. Trader Joes

The first thing that comes to mind when you think of Trader Joes is probably not beauty products, however they do have a small aisle with some amazing and cheap products. They mainly have skin care products that are made with great ingredients and of course are cruelty-free.

Overall cruelty-free products are everywhere, even at the grocery store. Try being an active consumer and look more into the makeup you’re purchasing. Ulta even has a cruelty free filter for when you’re browsing products online. So next time your makeup collection needs some new additions, think about buying products that are cruelty-free.

Lauren Blum

Holy Cross '26

Hey, I’m Lauren, I'm a second year from Long Island, NY. I love making art, listening to music, and spending time with my dog.