This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara is a book that has been taunting me for some time. While I wanted to take on the challenge of reading it, the length and rumors intimidated me. Finally, I decided to give it a try, and wow. This book was beautifully written and kept me on the edge of my seat. I felt as if I truly got to know the main characters and began feeling sympathy for their stories. By the end of the book, I had shed a few tears. 

Without saying too much, this book follows the lives of four friends who met in college. The reader gets to know them all on a deep level, with stories of their past and deepest insecurities. At points, this book can be heavy, so it is important to know that going in. 

My one complaint would be that it was slightly too long. While I appreciate background information, at times it felt like a little much. 

Overall, it is an incredible book that I would recommend to anyone who can handle heavier topics. 

Marisa Monahan

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I'm Marisa and I'm from New Hampshire. I love hanging out with friends, listening to music, reading, and a good coffee shop. I am a Psych major with a Neuroscience and Art History minor and will be graduating 2026.