MY FIRST MONTH AT HOLY CROSS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I had so many mixed emotions before coming to Holy Cross in August, the start of my freshman year. Is it the right place for me? Will I make friends? Will the classes be too hard? The endless questions filled my head.

The hectic first few days of unpacking, meeting people, having the day filled with orientation, and saying goodbye to my family was a lot. However, I already began to feel more and more at home. I met lots of welcoming and kind people, and knew that I fit in. This is not to say that I never once felt homesick or a little lost, as those are normal feelings, but I knew that I came here for a reason and that I was meant to be here.

I did not ED here, nor was it my first choice of a school. I honestly struggled a lot with finding a school that I felt would be right for me. I can say, from my month here so far, that I feel like this is the place for me. I have met lots of great people, joined many clubs, and have become active in this community. However, if you don’t feel the same, that is completely normal. Do not put yourself down if everything isn’t “perfect”.

I would recommend getting involved. Research about clubs that interest you and attend some meetings. Explore campus and find the place you belong. Put yourself out there and don’t be afraid to meet new people, as everyone is in the same position.

I think it is important to recognize that everything takes time. To my classmates, if you feel that you have not met your group, or you don’t like your classes, or you miss home, that is completely okay. Everyone adapts at their own pace. You will meet your future best friends and become involved in what you love, and the homesickness will fade away. Moving away from home into a new environment with strangers is a lot, and you deserve to recognize that. Don’t be so hard on yourself if you feel like you aren’t where you want to be, and instead be proud of what you have accomplished. Do not compare yourself to someone on Instagram posting pictures to make it seem like they met their best friends, soulmate, are at every party, and have straight A’s in the first few weeks. It is ok to struggle and make mistakes. Just remember that what is meant to be will be, and everything will work out!

Ashley Bunici

Holy Cross '26

Ashley Bunici is from Long Island, New York and is a Political Science Major and Disability Studies Minor, on the pre-law track. She loves to volunteer and be involved in clubs, spend time with friends and family, and travel.