This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Prior to my summer, I had made a list of books that I had hoped to read. Number one on that list was Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Daisy Jones and the Six. And that was because of the amazing reviews I had heard about the TV show. Something I really enjoy is getting into a book knowing that there’s a movie (or, in this case, a show) to compare it to afterwards. For this reason, I decided to document my experience throughout my reading/viewing/listening of Daisy Jones and the Six.

So, my first documentation of my reading experience was about half way through the book. Initially, I actually wasn’t hooked into the story. It wasn’t a book I couldn’t put down. Also, I noted that the format of the book was definitely a tedious read as there was a perspective shift with almost every paragraph. With that, it definitely took time to get to know every character. However, I grew to love each one of them for different reasons. I won’t give any spoilers, but the story grows from two different narratives that turn into one. I definitely already knew that I liked it, but wasn’t sure I loved it.

My next documentation was after I finished the book. I took what I said back, I loved it. I didn’t read it as fast as I usually would read a book that I loved, but it took time for my attachment to the characters to grow. I needed a second to digest everything going on, and I’m glad I took those seconds. I thought this was a very ‘cool’ read, and it made me feel like I was a part of the band’s journey, as it is a story of a band’s progression.

Then, my sister and I started the show! I made sure not to expose myself to any part of the show, I didn’t even know who acted in it. I had an idea in my head of what the characters would look and act like. Throughout my read, I wondered how they would execute the constant shift of perspective. They did it better than I could’ve imagined. The show made this story come alive, the songs that I read the lyrics of over and over again were sung. The relationships between characters were shown. The Daisy I imagined shifted to the Daisy on the screen.

My sister and I finished the show fairly quickly (about a week). We laughed, we cried, we were shocked, and we absolutely loved it. I couldn’t fathom how what I had just read was completely coming to life in the best way possible. It was truly an amazing experience. The songs that came to life with the show became a real soundtrack, just like in the book. It’s all my sister and I played for the rest of the summer. To the beach, on the way to work, or on the way back to school – Daisy Jones and the Six still lives with me oh so often. If you haven’t read or seen it, please do what I did. I promise it’s worth it. 

Sophie Steinbach

Holy Cross '25

Current sophomore at the College of the Holy Cross.