Moving Forward: How Hercampus has Impacted my College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s truly hard to believe that my time at Holy Cross is coming to an end. Before all the graduation festivities, cape week, and senior week, I’m happy to have some time to reflect upon my experience on the Hill and, specifically, the ways in which Hercampus has changed and bettered my college career.

First and foremost, Hercampus has introduced me to a community if like-minded women who are nothing but supportive, understanding, and extremely intelligent. I’ve been so impressed by every member I’ve ever had the chance to interact with, even ones from other schools/chapters! I joined Hercampus the first semester of my junior year, which felt like a real turning point in my life. It was our first semester back on campus after COVID, and I felt ready to accomplish all of the things that I’d put on the backburner in 2020. I’m so grateful, especially, for Cassie and Maddie, who were so welcoming to all new members and always encouraged us to be our best and most creative selves.

I loved being able to write about things that I found fun and interesting, and felt my love for writing growing stronger than ever. Being an English major, the thought of writing sometimes feels like a chore, but this organization reminded me how fun and freeing it can truly be.

All of our events, including chats with alumni, the thrift store, candygrams, and more, all proved to be fun, inclusive, and rewarding experiences. My friends were always so excited to hear that Hercampus was planning something fun the following week, and I know that this space has become a bright light for so many.

Even during my semester abroad, Hercampus served as a living connection between myself and the Holy Cross community, which at times felt so far away. My articles are like a living diary, connecting my past self to the present.

My senior year, specifically, has been transformative in the sense that I finally feel cemented as a part of the Hercampus community, and Holy Cross as a whole. I am most definitely sad to leave, but as I begin a new chapter, I know that the friends, skills, and qualities I’ve gained from being a part of Hercampus will stick with me forever. I’ll remember that, above all, writing is fun, and that I should be doing more of it as I leave the classroom.

Although this transition is scary, and leaving Holy Cross feels like leaving home, I am so grateful for the experiences that I’ve had over these past four years and know that they have been completely transformative. I am leaving Holy Cross a more empathetic, intelligent, and confident version of the girl that arrived on the Hill four years ago, and my experience with Hercampus has most definitely contributed to this. If any underclassmen happen to be reading this and are in need of advice/thoughts on their next few years, I am more than happy to share my experience and opinions! My time on the Hill has been amazing, but definitely not free of struggles/worries. If I can help in any way, please let me know!

Though I am sad to leave, I go better than I came, and that is all the difference.

HCXO,

Caroline

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!