Love the Skin You’re In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Body Positivity: It’s the party of the year that everyone is invited to! Throw on your sparkly stilletto’s, swipe on your luscious lipstick and let’s get to dancing, laughing, and spreading love for all shapes and sizes, for the capricorn’s, for the middle child, for the leggings-obsessed, and the ones on the grueling quests, for the ladies with the large breasts, and the adolescent girl who feels pressured to impress.  Join the movement and take a stand against unattainable, rigid, restrictive, unrealistic societal representations of beauty.  Instead, let’s promote acceptance, empathy, and honor individuality.  There’s no one like you & there never will be and that is something to be *celebrated*!

Here you will find ten quotes that perfectly encapsulate love && acceptance for oneself and others.  Doesn’t that concept just sound lovely? It is.

1.     “You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful.” – Amy Bloom

2.     “There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.” – Steve Maraboli

3.     “May every word that is ever spoken by our own mouths or typed by our fingers be words that lift up, and never words that tear down.” – Author Unknown

4.     “Beauty is how you feel inside. And it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.” – Sophia Loren

5.     “People always ask me, ‘You have so much confidence. Where did that come from?’ It came from me. One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl…  it doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see. Your body is your temple, it’s your home, and you must decorate it.” – Gabourey Sidibe

6.     “The beauty of a woman is not in facial mode but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.” – Audrey Hepburn

7.     “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu

8.     “People often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are that beholder.” – Salma Hayek

9.     “She was beautiful, for the way she thought. She was beautiful, for that sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile even if she was sad. No, she wasn’t beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald

10.  “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde

Alicia Perry

Holy Cross

Sophomore and History and English double major at the College of the Holy Cross