This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

It’s around this time of year that I start to hear those around me discuss what they’re planning on giving up for Lent. Toying with options and weighing their consequences, I most always choose the easiest or most basic sacrifice that comes to mind for a sense of participation without an overly taxing commitment. In fact, growing up I never really gave anything up for Lent, or even understood why Christians do so. It was only when I went to a Catholic high school that I truly deciphered the reasoning behind Lent and its connection to the preparation and anticipation of Easter.

Once I started leaning into Lent and choosing what to sacrifice, I was heavily influenced by what my friends were giving up because it was new to me. From TikTok to chocolate, and instagram to reality TV, I always chose mainstream shallow options that allowed me to challenge my self-control, yet I usually felt a lack of ownership or intentionality behind my choices. Not only this, I have learned that restricting myself from certain things, whether it be foods or taking breaks, can give me a feeling that I am not worthy of those experiences. Even though the Lenten sacrifices are framed in a sense of excitement and humble acknowledgement of our stray from God, it is easy to let those negative thoughts spoil the true intentions of why we are giving something up.

What truly changed the game for me and how I viewed Lent was when my senior year theology teacher said we can also participate in Lent by adding something into our lives. Although this statement is so simple, I find it extremely helpful in framing my mindset to allow me to be intentional about how I view my sacrifice. For example, this may take the form of adding reading a book or meditating for 10 minutes before bed; not only can this help you sacrifice time that you would otherwise be spending on your phone, it also lays the foundation for developing healthy habits in the future. It is so easy to want to splurge on whatever it was that was sacrificed once Lent ends; however, the Lenten period can also be a way to start a healthy habit and continue it past the Easter celebration.

I think it would defeat the purpose of this article to list ideas of how to add a habit during Lent because I believe that reflecting on your own life and being intentional will allow for the most satisfaction to be gained. However, do not be afraid to look up options because it can be great to use these ideas as well and reflect on whether they will be good for you and what you want to accomplish!

Lauren Harkins

Holy Cross '26

Lauren is an article contributor for Her Campus Holy Cross. She is a current undecided freshman who is enjoying getting to know campus and all of the opportunities Holy Cross has to offer! A Massachusetts native, Lauren loves to get outdoors, be active, and explore different areas of New England.