It IS Too Early To Start Celebrating Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I went to Target the week before Halloween, and I kid you not the entire dollar section was filled with Christmas stuff. Why are we rushing? Why are we wishing away the fall season, Halloween, and Thanksgiving? On November 1st, a mutual friend of mine posted a picture of her OVERLY decorated living room on her Instagram story. Covered in lights, stockings, a fully decorated Christmas tree, and nutcrackers. How on earth can you start celebrating Christmas on November 1st and be in the “Christmas spirit” for an entire 2 months? By the time Christmas rolls around I would be tired of the decorations, the Christmas music, and the pine needles all over the floor. On Sunday it was almost 60 degrees and my roommate and I went golfing… I can not even think about Christmas. 

Not to mention, celebrating Christmas this early completely pulls the rug out from under Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays. Spending the day cooking with your family, sitting down with your loved ones to enjoy the meal, and having leftovers for DAYS. I love Thanksgiving food and I love the vibes. Thanksgiving is on a Thursday… making Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the perfect time to decorate for Christmas. That Friday is also Black Friday, the perfect time to start thinking about Christmas shopping. It’s the end of November, which is close enough to December, which is close enough to Christmas. The weather is now actually cold and all of the other holidays have passed. This gives you a month to get into the holiday spirit and get excited for Christmas. Perfect. I do not need more than a month. I do not need to go shopping and see Christmas stuff everywhere until then. I’m not a Scrooge by any stretch of the imagination, but keep Christmas to yourself until Thanksgiving has passed.

Fiona Willette

Holy Cross '24

Fiona is a senior at Holy Cross studying physics and business. She is originally from Stamford, CT, but has loved spending her college years in Worcester. She is passionate about friends and family, cooking, being involved with campus and community activities as well as crossfit and working out. Her and fellow chapter member, Charlotte Keane, are so excited to be the Campus Correspondents this year!