I Tried Having An On-Campus Picnic: Here Are The Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The recent weather in Worcester has allowed for my friends and I to try something new: having a picnic! When we first got the idea of having a picnic a few weeks back, we didn’t necessarily feel like driving to a nearby common area, so we decided to have an on-campus one! Here are some reasons why you should do the same:

Bonding time with friends

Having a picnic is a great way to connect with your friends! It’s a great way to catch up and see how everyone’s doing. If you set-up in a common area on campus, it’s likely you’ll see other familiar faces, which only adds to the fun!

Enjoy good food

Bring your favorite snacks and drinks to make your picnic even more memorable! My friends and I love grabbing a refreshing drink from the O’Connor Family Café in the Prior Center, which has consistently hit the spot on warm days.

Free Vitamin D

After spending a long winter cooped up indoors, it’s important to make sure to spend some time outside, and a picnic is the perfect way to soak up some sun. No need to fly to Florida to catch some rays anymore!

Live in the moment

Devoting time during your busy school day to sit down and take a breath is very beneficial to your well-being. If you’re having a picnic, try to use the peaceful atmosphere to step back, embrace your surroundings, and reflect on living in the present; it’s easy to take moments for granted when we don’t take time to think about what we have!

Meredith McDonough

Holy Cross '26

Meredith is a sophomore from Woburn, MA who enjoys writing, dance and spending time with friends!