I Read 20 Books this Summer, Here are my Thoughts 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I was never really into reading growing up until I found books that were actually interesting and entertaining to me. Reading is such a nice way to clear your mind and take a step back from the real world. It pushes your imagination while relaxing your body. I often like to read at the end of a long day or while sitting outside enjoying nature; but, in order to enjoy reading, you have to find the right books. As someone who read 20 books this summer, here are my recommendations: 

1. The Silent Patient 

I read The Silent Patient in one sitting and it is one of my favorite books. I was genuinely engaged the entire time and found it very suspenseful. I had no idea where the book was going, which forced me to keep reading. In the end, everything comes together perfectly and I definitely did not see the twist coming. It’s a great fall read for the Halloween season. 

1. How it Feels to Float 

How it Feels to Float is a psychological book on mental health. As a psych major, I am very interested in the minds of those with psychological disorders, so it was fascinating to get an inside look in the protagonist’s mind. I also really enjoyed this book because of the style it is written in. How it Feels to Float is a quick read with a very unique style that is almost poetic. I found this really cool as I had never read a book in this style before. 

1. People We Meet on Vacation 

I think a romance can be a hit or a miss. People We Meet on Vacation is definitely a feel-good read and the perfect beach read. I felt really connected with the characters and appreciated how I got to know their personalities throughout the book. I especially liked this book because of the imagery from all of their travels and the timeline of their lives. 

1. Man’s Search for Meaning 

Man’s Search for Meaning is definitely a heavier book, but very inspirational and important. It is written by a psychiatrist who survived the Holocaust and is about the ways to find meaning in life and gives a look into the life of a Holocaust survivor. This book is truly meaningful and will force you to reflect on your own life. 

1. Atomic Habits 

I often find nonfiction a little boring but Atomic Habits went by fast and gave me ideas to apply to my own life. This book is about setting good habits to ensure a productive and happy lifestyle. It will also force you to take a look at your life and reflect on the habits you want to keep and the ones you want to change. 

1. The Unhoneymooners 

The Unhoneymooners is also an easy read. I also felt very connected to the characters in this book and enjoyed the pieces of humor scattered throughout. It’s a very sweet romance story that will keep you interested throughout the entire book.

Marisa Monahan

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I'm Marisa and I'm from New Hampshire. I love hanging out with friends, listening to music, reading, and a good coffee shop. I am a Psych major with a Neuroscience and Art History minor and will be graduating 2026.