This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Considering the fact that I’m about to graduate with an English degree, it’s pretty safe to say that I’ve mastered the art of essay writing. While writing is definitely a subjective practice (everyone has their own unique process), there are definitely a few universal tips that have helped me become an effective writer (and arguer).

Find a (quiet) study spot

Before even beginning the actual writing process, it’s important to find a space which supports your creative process. Personally, I love to work with noise cancelling headphones on so that it really doesn’t matter if I’m in a loud/crowded place, but also work well in the Dinand stacks, science library, or even Kimball (preferably from the hours of 2-4pm when it isn’t too crowded).

Office Hours!!

For a final paper, especially, I find it important to consult my professor with potential ideas/questions. Even going to office hours for a brainstorming session is helpful, but I try to go in with at least an idea of what I want to write about and how I want to make my argument. In my experience, professors have always been happy to help!

Outline/Draft

I have a pretty unique drafting process in that I prefer to messily get all my thoughts/ideas out on the page in paragraph form rather than formally outlining. Once I have my thesis, I tend to find quotes and evidence to support that thesis along the way. For longer papers, I also think it’s helpful to break the writing process up into sections. Whether that be research vs textual analysis vs argument, it’s less overwhelming to work in smaller pieces.

Research/find quotes and evidence

So, once the thesis is formed, I’ll look for supportive quotes and scholarly research. Usually I try to incorporate these, along with my own thoughts and argument, as I just word vomit across pages. At this point, I just want to get words down, and can clean them up later.

Revise!!

Revision is really the time, for me, to put everything together in a way which flows well. I’ll clean up any sloppy or unclear parts of my argument, and make sure that my formatting is also up to par. And then, I submit it and forget it. Okay, not really, but I’ve found that driving myself crazy over something that’s out of my hands is pointless.

Good luck and happy writing!!

Caroline Sullivan

Holy Cross '23

A Lover of books, coffee, and style from Long Island, New York!