This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you are a college student, it’s easy to fall victim to procrastination. You are almost always surrounded by action. Coming from someone who used to struggle with getting a head start on my schoolwork, I decided to seek out some methods that would allow for more stress-free days! Here are the top five tips and tricks I’ve found to be the most effective when I have the urge to push off my assignments:

1. Break down your tasks into manageable steps

It’s totally normal to feel overwhelmed after realizing you have a ton of assignments on your plate. Fortunately, easing those feelings of anxiety can be a lot easier than you think. To complete a lot of work in an efficient way, try creating a timeline, setting deadlines for yourself and break up long stretches of work into single sessions.

1. Increase your motivation

If you are having trouble staying focused, give yourself some motivation by creating an incentive. For example, for every thirty minutes of work you complete, you can reward yourself with five minutes of screen time. If you really want to follow this pattern in a strict manner, try setting alarms that indicate when it’s time to take a break or to get back to work!

1. Place yourself in the right environment

Find a comfortable spot to hit the books and stick with it! Whether you prefer to embrace the silence of the Rehm Library or the lively atmosphere at Cool Beans’, a great way to stay on-task is to get into the habit of sitting down in one spot and staying there until you feel like you’ve been productive.

1. Use time-management techniques

A great way to beat procrastination is to test out some time-management techniques and figure out what works best for you. Personally, my phone is my primary distraction, which is why the Forest App has been a lifesaver! Whenever you want to stay focused on a task, you “plant a tree.” As you complete your work, your tree will grow, and you earn virtual coins if you resist exiting the app. Forest users can spend virtual coins (which are earned by demonstrating productivity) on planting real trees. When this occurs, Forest donates money to Trees for the Future.

1. Give yourself breaks!

It’s important to remember that no matter how much work you may have, taking a break every now and then is beneficial to your well-being. My friends and I love grabbing some snacks from the Lobby Shop or a drink from Cool Beans to give our brains a rest. After all, it’s scientifically proven that taking breaks helps restore your brain’s capacity for better attention, focus and creativity!

Meredith McDonough

Holy Cross '26

Meredith is a sophomore from Woburn, MA who enjoys writing, dance and spending time with friends!