This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

We’ve all heard the statements about how college is the time to make mistakes and figure out who we want to be. In other words, it’s time for growth. But, more often than not, you don’t realize the growth you are making until you’ve already experienced it. In college, we go through significant changes and adjustments. Now, you are in full control of your days, and the only person who is really telling you what to do, is you. 

Sometimes, you’ll hear the statement “It’s College!” as an excuse for why people make the decisions they do, and at times, that can be valid. But in reality, you are still making those choices, and they affect you and the people you surround yourself with. The person you were in high school will most likely not be the person you are in college, and that is okay! With that in mind, here are some tips to explore new things, but remain grounded, busy, and on the right track!  

Keeping a planner is very important; even if you didn’t have one in high school, you are the only person keeping track of your schedule. Write down everything you have for the month so that you won’t let your activities interfere with the following week – especially when you want to go out on the weekends. 

Next: go to sleep! On the weekends, we tend to stay up literally all night with our friends. Again, there is when “it”s college!” comes into play. But, when Sunday rolls around and you have spent the entire day sleeping instead of preparing for the week, it can spark struggle and place you into a vicious cycle of playing catch up! Those weekend nights can be a blast, but try not to make it a regular thing every weekend. If nothing is happening, my advice is just to go to bed. After almost two years of little social interaction, everyone is eager or anxious to go out and socialize. But trust me; no one cares if you leave the party early. 

Do things other than sit in the library and do your work. Yes, it is essential, but make time for your healthy hobbies. You could go to the gym, find a study buddy, join a club, and surround yourself with others who share your passions. 

Try to make friends outside of your major/friend group and find multiple places to hang out and study. Although you may not realize, there are plenty of English majors sitting in the science building doing work. 

My final piece of advice is that it’s not high school; if the group of people you’ve been hanging out with are just not clicking for you, it is okay to branch out and make others. There are so many people on campus; move around and reach out to people. It doesn’t mean you need to have bad blood; just expand your horizon! Trust me; we are all trying to find our niche. It is good to change things up when you’re living and seeing the same people every day. Just remember that everyone is going through their own experiences and figuring out their place as well. You’re not alone! 

Summer Scott

Holy Cross '24

singer/songwriter/creative writer