This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

The irony in this article is that I started writing it but got sick, because I overworked myself. So, learn from my mistakes and find a self care routine that keeps you happy and healthy.

These days it is far too easy to ignore one’s personal needs and focus on work and other people. With technology, it is almost impossible to escape work and reality, so we are constantly sucked into this idea of productivity. “We should be making every moment count” ingrained in our brains, to the point that more often than not, we find ourselves burning out. Living a lifestyle of constant stress and work is not realistic, nor should it be the norm. I’m trying to break the stigma that self-care is “selfish”, and instead, that it is necessary to maintain a happy and balanced life.

Morning routines are the start of your day; make the most of it. For me, this has been waking up early and taking my time getting ready. I have made myself a morning person (yes it’s possible) and have started getting up at 6:30. I spent the first 30 minutes slowly getting ready and enjoying my coffee. After that, I head to the dining hall to get some work done and finish all my basic tasks for the day. This allows me to take on the day knowing that I have everything under control. I have a plan laid out, and have already checked items off my to do list. Rushing around in the morning is not helpful, as it sets a chaotic tone for the rest of the day. I am not recommending everyone wakes up at 6 am, but trying to get up at least an hour before class seems to give enough time to get mentally prepared.

Find time to eat. This seems like a stupid suggestion, but taking a moment to breath can be found during meals. This is a great time to recoup and catch your breath. It is also essential to refuel your body for all of the mental and physical obstacles of the day, especially if you have a lot of classes to sit through.

Take time for yourself in whatever that means for you. That might be scrolling through social media for an hour, but it could also be going to the gym. There is no need to be ashamed of your needs, even if it seems silly to ask for the room to nap. This is also trial and error based, as some weeks you need more time to yourself than others. Also, not every weekend has to be crazy, there can be some that are more chill. Saturdays and Sundays are perfect reset days used for sleeping and catching up on work, so there is no need to overexert yourself. Having one is one thing, but wearing yourself down is a totally different issue.

Learn from my mistakes; take time for yourself. Take time to breathe and recenter yourself. Burnout is a real thing, and if it does not manifest itself mentally, you will physically become sick. Take care of yourselves <3

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.