Getting In The Christmas Spirit At Holy Cross

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Coming back to campus after Thanksgiving break for just three more weeks is arguably one of the longest stretches for all of us. From my point of view, everyone has two options here: let your school work and finals season consume you and miss the majority of the Christmas season, or form your own traditions here on campus and carve out time to enjoy your last three weeks of the semester. I know how easy it is to lean into the first option, but I’m here to remind you to resist the temptation and make an effort to have fun. I promise it’s completely worth it! Here are some easy and sufficient ways of doing this:

1. Decorate your room

Decorating my dorm room for every holiday is one of my favorite things to do here, and my roommate and I go all out for Christmas. I understand not wanting to spend money, so maybe get one thing each year. Think of it as an investment and just use the decoration for the upcoming years. If you really don’t want to spend money you can always get into some DIY action and make paper chains or print some fun things out in the library to hang up. 

1. Do a Secret Santa with friends

Doing a Secret Santa gives you something to look forward to, and you can make a fun, festive night out of the gift exchange!

1. Listen to Christmas music 

Listening to Christmas music never fails to put me in a good mood. If you’re really feeling down, listen to it and think of going home as the light at the end of the tunnel. If you’re in a great mood, listen to it and enjoy the season here at Holy Cross. You only have about four weeks a year when listening to Christmas music is acceptable; you might as well embrace it!

1. Decorate Christmas cookies or gingerbread houses

You can make this a competition to do with your friends, and it’s such an easy and fun way to get in the spirit. Target has pre-made cookie decorating kits and gingerbread houses, so get on the Holy Cross shuttle one night this week and decorate before you go home!

1. Embrace the cold

You can either let the cold weather get to you and make you unhappy, or let it rejuvenate your soul. The cold weather motivates me to be efficient and excited me for the upcoming cold months!

1. Enjoy the Holy Cross traditions

Holy Cross offers many ways to embrace the Christmas season. On Thursday, November 30th, is the Christmas Tree Lighting in front of O’Kane, with many festive performances from groups on campus. The following Thursday, December 7th, is the Lessons and Carols in the Chapel. These are just two of many examples for you to take advantage of!

Merry Christmas, and Happy Finals Season!!

Bridget O'Toole

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I am a sophomore at Holy Cross and am majoring in English and minoring in Architectural Studies. I'm from Long Island, New York, and my favorite things include skiing, reading, yoga, and the beach!