This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As an English major, most of my homework involves reading books. However, I am allergic to required reading, so I spend most of my time reading for fun — sometimes even during class. It’s a bad habit that I started sophomore year in high school when we got personal iPads and Zoom classes have made sneaky reading even easier. I don’t condone this practice, however if you’re looking for some “read for fun” books, here are some of my favorites!

“28 Summers” by Elin Hilderbrand

Elin Hilderbrand’s novels take you on a much-needed vacation and a whirlwind romance. 28 Summers is one of her best books, and will provide you with all of the romance and drama you’re missing due to the pandemic. Believe me, living vicariously through Mallory and Jake is a blast.

“Pretty Little Wife” by Darby Kane

As avid thriller readers, my mom and I always joke that any book with a title that includes the word “pretty,” “little,” or “wife” is bound to be good. Therefore, Pretty Little Wife is the ideal thriller and it does live up to its title. Make sure to have a lot of caffeine on hand, because once you start reading it, you won’t be able to put this book down.

“One of Us is Lying” by Karen M. McManus

One of Us is Lying is the perfect mix of YA and thriller, plus McManus is a Holy Cross alum! Peacock is adapting it into a series (with John B. !!), so make sure to read the book before you watch.

Bridget is a Senior English major at Holy Cross. She likes books, yoga, Taylor Swift, feta cheese, and reality TV. When she grows up, she wants to be Miss Havisham or Jia Tolentino.