This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I was one of the last out of my friend group to leave for college. As I watched everyone say their goodbyes to each other, I grew into denial that I would eventually be leaving for college myself. So, when the day finally came and I was alone in my dorm, that was when it hit me. I was on my own. 

The transition was not easy for me. I didn’t love my living situation, I was stressed out with classes, and I was tired of trying to find my people. It felt like everything was changing at once. I frequently called my mom to tell her how much I missed her and would hang out with new people every day. All of it was too much for me to balance. 

Now, as I look back on that first part of freshman year, I feel a sense of contentment and relief. If you are a freshman who is overwhelmed by everything that is going on, I get it. It took me time to find my people and fully adjust to the workload of college. So, do not get discouraged if you aren’t fully happy with your college experience thus far. There are still so many people to meet and memories to be made. You will get used to how things work. It is normal to be overwhelmed by these changes. 

One thing I would recommend as someone who had a hard time adjusting to college is to not give up on finding your people. It’s perfectly okay if you don’t click with everyone you meet in the first week of college. I am not best friends with most of the people I met at the beginning. It takes time to find people whose personalities match yours and who have the same values. With that being said, make sure you truly get to know someone before judging them. You might just find yourself friends with someone you wouldn’t expect. When I first met my current roommate, I did not think our personalities complimented each other, but now she is one of my best friends. 

Outside of academics, try to romanticize your daily schedule. Productivity can be very rewarding and is essential to forming good habits. Learn how to balance your time in a way that works for you while taking care of yourself. 

Now, as I sit in my Sophomore year dorm room, I am so happy with where I am at. Although freshman year can be difficult, it pushes you to become independent and the outcomes are so worth it. So, give it time, and don’t stop pushing yourself, it gets better.

Marisa Monahan

Holy Cross '26

Hi! I'm Marisa and I'm from New Hampshire. I love hanging out with friends, listening to music, reading, and a good coffee shop. I am a Psych major with a Neuroscience and Art History minor and will be graduating 2026.