Fall is Superior to Summer (and so is Winter)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Quite unpopularly, I dislike summer. I know I know… I’ll let the shock settle in. Let me explain: Summer is the most overhyped time of the year (maybe in a close tie with Christmas), and I think it’s because it always sounds better than it actually is. There is no school which obviously is appealing, but it leads to so much free time that needs to be filled with other activities. I also think that there is a preconceived notion that summer days will be filled with travel and the beach and seeing friends, but as we have grown older that has become less of a reality. This previous summer I worked almost everyday, and the days I did have off often did not correspond to my friend’s days off. Most of my friends from college live a good distance away, therefore I cannot see them on a daily basis. It has to be a whole endeavor to drive a few hours away and stay the night.  I live almost an hour from any beach so I have to make a whole day of the event, which is not always practical. In an ideal world I would live steps from the beach and go everyday, but even the people who do live in beach houses often can not do this. I think there is so much pressure for summer to be a movie, but it really never is.

Fall and winter fashion is far superior because there are so many options. The summer is so unreasonably hot that most of the time the least amount of clothing is the best option. This can be fine if you are going to the beach or somewhere fun, but like just running errands around my town, I would not like to look naked. There are so many more possibilities with fall and winter clothing. You can layer, you can add coats or cardigans, you can wear boots and scarves, the list is endless. I can see the argument that you have to wear a coat which will cover your outfit, but there are so many coat options, and you can probably take it off when you arrive at your destination. Additionally, for anyone who is at all insecure about their body, it is so much easier to feel comfortable when you are covered up. Sweaters and sweatshirts are much more forgiving. 

Speaking of needing more forgiving clothing, all of the BEST holidays are in the fall and winter: there is Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Also my birthday falls in the middle of this all which is for sure an added bonus. I think that these holidays bring people together and are such a nice break from the stress of school and everything. I am lucky to have a family that gets along, so seeing them multiple times in a short period of time is enjoyable. School ramps up like crazy during the end of the semester, but there are so many fun things to look forward to that makes the season much more worth it. 

I fully understand that I am in the minority of people who believe that we are currently in the best seasons, but I feel like I definitely make valid points.

Alissandra Conlon

Holy Cross '24

Sophomore majoring in chemistry with a studio art minor. Outside of the classroom you can find me hanging out with my friends, in the dance studio, or out to dinner.