This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Something Holy Cross’s Her Campus has done recently is a “speed dating” activity where we got to talk to and learn about members in our chapter we may have never talked to before. Through this I had the pleasure of meeting Emily who is a current sophomore here at Holy Cross. While talking to her, I learned a lot about her, like she lived in Clark her freshman year and now lives in Loyola, which she loves.  I now also realize that we have a lot in common. We are both from the South Shore of Massachusetts, not that far from each other. Something else that we have in common, is we both worked for the same small ice cream company.

Over the summer I worked for the ice cream shop Little Dukes, and it turns out Emily did too, but the reason we never saw each other was because we worked at different locations. I worked at a walk up window at the beach and she worked at the bigger sit down location in town. It was so nice to meet someone who experienced the same job as I did.

My location was often dead, and workers made less money than the walk-in store did, and it turns out our boss often asked employees at Emilys’ location to go to mine. So while I was begging to go to the walk-in location, our boss was begging more people to go to the walk up store.

It was interesting to learn more about my job, some things that I never knew about until talking with Emily. It was so nice to talk with someone who understood my aggravation with one of our bosses and my love for one of our other bosses. While talking to Emily, it was clear she’s a dedicated and hard worker.

It was so much fun to talk to Emily and everyone else during our speed dating activity and I really enjoyed it.

Callie Gillan

Holy Cross '26

Callie is a current sophomore at Holy Cross and is studying Political Science and Psychology. In her free time she loves reading, trying new coffee places and going to the beach.