Style > Beauty

DIY Beauty Treatments— Creating a Spa Experience in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

After a few long weeks of late night study sessions, thirsty Thursdays spent at Whiskey on Water, and 8 am classes, any sane person should be craving a break. While this down time can come in many different forms, I personally find myself longing for a spa day complete with a facial, a deep tissue massages, and a mani pedi. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a spa in Worcester to satisfy these needs, so in the meantime here are four diy beauty treatments to transform your dorm room or off–campus bedroom into your own personal oasis.

1. De-Puff Tired Eyes

When the circles and bags under your eyes won’t disappear lay cotton pads soaked in green tea on them; the caffeine shrinks the appearance of blood vessels and the antioxidants help eliminate inflammation. Another easy remedy is to use raw potatoes cooled in the refrigerator, which act as a natural astringent and will take down the swelling. Just peel and slice them before applying to your eyes.

2. Rejuvenating Hair Treatment  

Sometimes all we, the female population, want is to have a soft, shiny, and strong head of hair. Though that desire may seem elusive at times, this hair treatment contains egg yolks for protein, avocado and olive oil to nourish, and conditioner and mayo to naturally detangle, all of which guarantee luscious locks. Combine one egg yolk, 1 tbsp. of mayonnaise, ¼ of an avocado, 2 tbsp. olive oil, and a small handful of conditioner; mix all the ingredients together; and then apply the mixture to your hair for an hour or two before washing it out.

3. Brightening Body Scrub

Winter is, unfortunately, right around the corner, thereby signaling the return to a season of dry, irritated skin. In preparation for this, make a body scrub using coconut oil, brown sugar, and lemon; the coconut oil will moisturize your skin while the brown sugar and lemon will buff away dead and dry skin cells. Start with ½ cup of virgin coconut oil and warm it up in the microwave. Once it is warm, add ½ cup brown sugar and half of a lemon and mix. This scrub can be used in the shower all over your body for soft, glowing skin.

4. Clarifying Facial Mask

The return to school inevitably equals stress, which somehow inevitably equals breaking out at the worst times possible. To prevent all of this in the future, use a face mask based on bananas, which contain Vitamin A and E and therefore combat flakiness and redness, and heavy cream, which contains elastin to leave your skin soft and supple. Take 1 banana mashed well, 2 tbsp. heavy cream, 1 ½ tbsp. honey, 1 ½ tbsp. flour, and1 tbsp. water and mix into a mousse. Apply to your face; leave on for 10 minutes; and then rinse. 

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.