The Death of Thirsty Thursday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Unless you came to Holy Cross when The Salty Dog was around, you can’t even begin to fathom the potential that Thursdays hold.  The Salty Dog represents everything that is good about thirsty Thursday: lots of cuties,  a big dance floor, friendly bouncers (shoutout to the Salty bouncers for holding my shoes as I dashed onto the dancefloor risking infection), CLASSIC pink bathrooms, two (!!) bars, and a mechanical BULL. What more could anyone want from a night out? Nothing.

Everyone who has been to the Salty Dog would agree that it is hard to compete with.  If one thing was for sure, there was nothing and I mean nothing like Salty Thursdays.  As a freshman girl, you knew there would be a plethora of hot senior guys to look at.  As a sophomore, you knew you’d make a new senior girlfriend that would slip you drinks in the bathroom.  As a junior, you knew you could move shamelessly on the dance floor without being judged.  As a senior, you’d get to watch and scoff at a bunch of freshmen girls trying to get attention from your hot guy friends.  It was a win for everyone involved and no one went home disappointed (ever). 

Then one dreadful day, Salty closed.  It was a tragedy, but we all assumed there would be a new, up and coming, Salty-esque bar to take its place.  A year and a half later, and  I am sick of waiting for that new bar to save my Thursday nights.  It has become clear that no bar will take Salty’s place, but why does my favorite night of the week have to suffer because of it???

Let’s talk about Rumors.  First of all I want to know who created the name of this attempted Salty replacement.  Rumors?  I couldn’t even act like I wanted to go there to my friends for fear they’d think I’m still caught in my Lizzie McGuire, teeny-bopper, middle school dance phase where all they play is Lil Jon and Danity Kane songs.  Secondly, I would like discuss this horribly named bar’s potential.  BECAUSE, it does have potential.  It has two bars that conveniently flank the dance floor.  And your girl loves a good dance floor.  If it weren’t crowded with freshmen grinding on each other and making out shamelessly then I would be a more active participant on said dfloor.  However, I cannot let loose and toe drag across the floor (the move that proves I’m a better dancer than everyone else) without feeling the ambitious 18-year-old boy cop a feel.  Thirdly, my theory is, if we have more of a Salty mentality, get a good crew of upper and lower classmen, then Rumors is sure to be a good time.  If not, all people over the age of 19 should stay away from that horribly named place.  You’d have more fun going across the street to Nuff Said, ordering a large bacon pizza and cheesy bread to your dorm room alone, or finding a homeless man to feed at CVS (personal experience proves this to be true).

I am unwilling to let my Thursday nights perish because the beloved Salty Dog has closed (may it rest in peace).  If not Rumors, then Fusion.   If not Fusion, then Varsity.  If not Varsity, then Mahoney’s.  Leitrims is for Wednesdays and I refuse to change that routine.  I am not giving up my Thursdays without a fight. RIP Salty.

Junior at Holy Cross. English major with a Creative Writing Concentration. Member of the Varsity Lacrosse Team.