Current and Upcoming Movies I’m Super Excited to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Spencer

Pablo Larrain’s “Spencer”, starring Kristen Stewart was released on November 5th. This film is vastly rumored to be an Oscar-worthy performance by Stewart and one of the best showcases of her acting chops yet. The story of Princess Diana has been done quite a few times with popular shows like “The Crown”, also winning multiple Emmy Awards and Golden Globes for its recent season. However, Spencer does something different, as it already establishes the distant marriage between Princess Diana and Prince Charles and because of this, it is created through a  psychological lens on her life. Kristen Stewart’s physical transformation is uncanny to the late princess, and from what I’ve seen in the trailer, this film is sure to be an amazing watch. 

SPIDERMAN: NO WAY HOmE

This film I’m particularly excited about because I’m a big Marvel nerd. “Spider-Man: No Way Home”’s  release date is set to be December 17, and this is the third installment in the MCU Spider-Man movie series. This film stars everyone’s favorite “couple”, Tom Holland and Zendaya,  and there’s no denying their chemistry as Peter Parker and MJ is undeniable. This particular film will focus on Peter Parker as he asks Doctor Strange to help conceal his identity as Spider-Man from the public, despite previously being leaked. We see this at the end of the second movie “Far From Home”, which ultimately leads to the unleashing of the multiverse. The trailer for “Spider-Man: No Way Home” broke all kinds of records including the most viewed trailer in 24 hours. Rumors have been swirling around whether the multiverse allows openings for the previous Spider-Man’s, Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield, to make an appearance. Garfield has denied these claims on talk shows, however, some fans including myself, are still hoping for at least a cameo. 

hOUSE OF GUCCI

“House of Gucci”, set to release shortly before Thanksgiving on November 24, has a star-studded cast including Lady Gaga, Jared Leto, Adam Driver, and Salma Hayek. The plot opens us up to the world of high fashion, as we explore the Gucci empire and how its twists and turns all leads back to the motive of Patrizia Reggiani (Gaga) and her plotted ultimate murder. In my opinion, Gaga is an extremely underrated actress, especially after seeing her performance in “A Star is Born”. The trailer was nothing short of amazing. It had intense clips of all these dramatic and beautifully filmed scenes, however I’m curious what more the movie has to offer because the trailer was so in-depth.  

dune

“Dune” was released on October 22 so it has been out for a little bit, but I thought I’d put it on my list because truth be told, I have seen part of this movie on HBO max and I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes that I did get to see. Starring Timothy Chalamet and Zendaya, “Dune” follows the plot of Frank Herbert’s popular science-fiction novel. Spoiler alert for all those who haven’t seen or want to know anything about the movie, Zendaya definitely did not make as many appearances as I thought she would. This was super disappointing seeing as she did a lot of press for it, but I’m hopeful for the next part of the series that she will have a more substantial role.  Timothy Chalamet stole the show of course – shocker. Not only is he an amazing actor, but he also is incredibly good-looking so I can’t complain. The only thing that made this film particularly hard to follow was the intense amount of detail in the plot. I had never read the “Dune” series, so the film was flawed in the sense of easing in the newcomers. I will warn you that the lingo, character development, and setting details could make you more confused as the movie goes on. 

Kristin Nastasi

Holy Cross '24

Kristin Nastasi is a New Jersey-based nineteen year old. She is a Classics major, sagittarius, and self proclaimed Trader Joes connoisseur.