Career > Work

College Student During the Day and Legal Assistant at Night!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

I was fortunate enough to intern for a law firm in the Chicago area this summer! It was such a great experience being able to see what a day-to-day at a firm looks like. I even got the opportunity to be in the courtroom once a week with the attorneys. At the end of the summer, I was given the opportunity to continue as a remote legal assistant while I returned to Worcester for my junior year. Here is why I chose to continue my position and how I manage my life as a student!

1. I Enjoy What I Do

To say that I had a great experience this summer does not give my experience enough credit. Joining this firm I had no idea what to expect, this was going to be my first time working in the legal field and I knew I was interested in law but I wasn’t sure. But I was welcomed with open arms and learned the entire process of preparing a case all the way through the first court date. I was even given the opportunity to go to court once a week with the attorneys and observe what they do. I worked 9 to 5 all summer and really loved every minute of it. I never get bored of what I was working on. I think having such a great experience is a big reason why I knew that I wanted to continue working for the firm.

2. Law School

I am hoping to attend law school one day. It has always been a dream of mine to be a lawyer. But I never knew if this is something that I wanted to do. I’ve always heard that in order to make it in law school you need to be passionate about it. It takes a lot of motivation and passion. I am currently on my journey of preparing to apply for law school and deciding if this is the right path for me. Having this internship under my belt is a great resume builder for my application. Not every college student can say they were a legal assistant 2 years before applying to law school. 

3. Pushing Myself!

Taking on challenges is something that I enjoy doing. I knew that balancing my studies and working was not going to be easy. The firm offered me a lot of flexibility, but I knew I wanted to still be an asset. Continuing to prove myself through my work even though I wasn’t in the office anymore. I would be lying if I said balancing my student life with working has been easy. On campus I am also in many extracurricular activities including another internship. Google Calendar has been a lifesaver for planning out my days. I make it a priority to have good time management, so that I don’t fall behind on my assignments and studying. Setting daily goals and being as productive as I can be is something I focus on!

This is a unique opportunity that I am grateful for! I am excited to return this summer to the office but in the meantime I continue my remote work from Worcester and Spain in the spring! Just know that anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

Emily Arizmendi

Holy Cross '25

My name is Emily Arizmendi and I'm a junior at Holy Cross. I'm a Political Science and English Major from Zion, Illinois.