This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Every day, when I was in elementary school, I wore my hair in a tight, high ponytail with a big ribbon bow. I held pride in my bow collection, some even had my monogram. But I left my bow phase in elementary school. Little did I know that college me nearly 10 years later would be shopping for bows again. I currently own bows to wear in my hair, bow earrings, a bow ring and even a sweatshirt with a big pink bow right in the middle. I think this trend goes beyond aesthetics.

Our society forces maturity upon women and girls, driven by ingrained gender norms. The early emphasis on emotional maturity accelerates women’s development in negotiating complex social dynamics. Moreover, the relentless focus on physical appearance and the expectation to conform to unrealistic beauty standards cultivates a heightened awareness of societal pressures that no person let alone a child should have to live through. 

In a world that pressures women to grow up, I think this trend allows us to reclaim a bit of childhood innocence. Clipping in a bow symbolizes a way to embrace femininity and reconnect with a carefree spirit. It’s a celebration of embracing the whimsy, the playfulness, and the unapologetic femininity that often gets overshadowed by the demands of this world. Perhaps it’s no coincidence that this trend aligns with the resurgence of beloved childhood themes like Barbie. The Barbie movie, with its themes of unapologetic self-expression, mirrors the essence of the trend – a delightful journey back to the joys of girlhood.

So, let’s celebrate this sweet and stylish comeback of bows as more than simply a trend. It’s a declaration, a ribbon-wrapped reminder to cherish the aspects of our childhood that shaped us and to carry that youthful spirit into the empowered women we’ve become. 

Lauren Blum

Holy Cross '26

Hey, I’m Lauren, I'm a second year from Long Island, NY. I love making art, listening to music, and spending time with my dog.