This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Brendan Fraser is a famous canadian-american actor from the early 90s to early 200s. His fame lasted a good 25 years, with hit movies such as “George of the Jungle” (1997), “The Mummy” series (1999, 2001, 2008), and “Journey to the center of the Earth” (2008). All of these movies definitely made up my childhood and he did a phenomenal job in all of them. He has worked with the likes of Elizabeth Hurley, Josh Hutcherson, Leslie Mann, John Cleese, John Trovolta, Morgan Freeman, Harrison Ford, and many other A-list Hollywood names.

In 2018, Brendan told the story to GQ of the abuse he faced working in Hollywood back in 2003, when his career began to slow down, and this is what he believes is the reason why he was blacklisted or felt blacklisted. He claims the former president of the Hollywod Foriegn Press Association sexually assaulted him, and the former president, who is still working for HFPA, replied saying it was a joke. After this came out, Brendan received an apology letter, however, but was not invited to the golden globes and felt iced out in the future – hence him feeling like he was blacklisted.

This became the cherry on top of the many other issues Brendan faced at this time, as he was also going through an ugly divorce and personal issues. It is sad to discover all of this from a beloved actor, but it seems now he is coming back into the spotlight with welcoming arms from many people. At the Venice Film Festival, Brendan Fraser received a six minutes standing ovation from the crowd after the premier of his film “The Whale”. This film is about a 600 pound man living in a wheelchair who tries to reconnect with his 17-year old daughter and critics are now saying this moment will put him in the running for best actor at the Oscars. His movie comes out December 9 and I hope this will give Brendan Fraser the return to the spotlight he deserves.

Colette Offermann

Holy Cross '23

Colette is currently pursuing an English major and minoring in Studio Art and Social Ethics and Business at Holy Cross. On her free days she loves to paint abstract works, try out new recipes, play tennis, go to wine tastings, and experience new activities within her community such as new restaurants and boutiques.