Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Beyonce Goes Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

If you had told me a week ago that Beyonce would be releasing one of my favorite country songs of 2024, I probably would have called you crazy. While I wouldn’t say I’m a part of the BeyHive, I can acknowledge that Beyonce is an amazing artist. However, I never thought I would see the day that she would be releasing a country song. I have been a country music fan for as long as I can remember. I know a lot of people don’t like it, but there is something about the strong acoustic instrumentals and storytelling that I love. So despite not being a major Beyonce fan, I was intrigued when I heard that a mainly pop and r&b/soul artist would be releasing a country album. 

After a heartbreaking Superbowl, I decided to cope by scrolling endlessly on TikTok. After being on the app for just a few minutes I had already heard multiple clips of Beyonce’s Texas Hold ‘Em. I was immediately obsessed with the song. Not only are the instrumentals and vocals captivating, the lyrics are also fantastic. The song is Beyonce calling back to her Texas roots. To me, it is like she is telling herself that she has to remember where she came from. Despite being critically acclaimed and world famous in this song she is remembering that this was not always the case. This is her acknowledging that at one point in time she was just a regular girl from Texas. I really ended up liking this song and its message, and think it’s my favorite of the 2 songs she released during the Super Bowl. I also love that it’s getting people who don’t typically like country music to give the genre a shot. 

Emma Michienzi

Holy Cross '26

I am a sophomore chemistry major at Holy Cross! I love to read and listen to music. I'm also a huge formula one and football fan!