This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Despite being afraid of my own shadow, literally, I am obsessed with thrillers and mysteries. My grandmother, my mother, and I are three of the most nervy, cautious, paranoid people to ever exist, and yet we devour petrifying, perverted books with such delight. It’s always a good time to get lost in a mystery, but perhaps it is even more fitting to enjoy a spine-chilling novel during the so-called spooky season. Without further ado, here are my top five mysteries and thrillers to keep you turning the pages and locking the doors:

Final Girls

by Riley Sager

I read this book a year ago and it still keeps me up at night. I pride myself on my ability to predict all twists and turns in a story, but this one subverted my expectations at every turn. This is definitely not for the faint of heart!!

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn

I mean, duh. Of course Gone Girl is on the list. If you haven’t had the pleasure of reading it yet, drop everything and start it right now. 

The Secret Place

by Tana French

All of Tana French’s novels are brilliant. She intertwines crime fiction and psychological thriller seamlessly within a tantalizing, haunting plot. I’ve loved every single one of her novels, and highly recommend you read them all, but this one just may be my favorite. It takes place in a girl’s boarding school in Ireland and involves witchcraft, thus making it perfect for the Halloween season.

Find Her

by Lisa Gardner

A chilling tale about a kidnapping. It hits close to home as the victim is a female college student who disappears for a night out. It is terrifyingly realistic and incredibly fast-paced.

And Then There Were None

by Agatha Christie

I can’t make a list of mystery novels without including the Queen herself. And Then There Were None is probably Christie’s most famous novel, for good reason. A classic whodunnit that will send chills down your spine.

Wrap yourself in your warmest blanket and prepare to get lost in the pages of these novels. Enjoy!

P.S. You may want to invest in a nightlight after reading some of these … 

Bridget is a Senior English major at Holy Cross. She likes books, yoga, Taylor Swift, feta cheese, and reality TV. When she grows up, she wants to be Miss Havisham or Jia Tolentino.