All the Many Things to Give Thanks for at Holy Cross

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Thanksgiving. One of the best holidays of the year for obvious reasons… the home cooked meals, the family gatherings, the last break before finals. Yet, besides these reasons, of course, there is the most important one- taking the time to acknowledge how grateful we are for the little things in life. In attending Holy Cross for over a year now, and reflecting upon the experience, I have come to realize the many elements of Holy Cross that make it so amazing, from the little day to day details to the larger, more obvious characteristics. There is much here on the hill that we must remember to be especially thankful for this November.

1. FriendlinessI quickly caught on to this culture during the first few weeks of freshman year. Generally speaking, students on the hill tend to be super friendly. We need to appreciate the strangers who smile at us for no reason or who hold doors open or who start conversations just to make a new friend, as this is not a culture present on every college campus. Because lets face it, nothing makes classes on cold Monday mornings bearable like the smiles and hellos exchanged in the communal bathroom, on the way to Stein, and later in Kimball. 
  2. Good FriendsBack in the good ole days of college searching, a HC alum once told me that “good friends go to Holy Cross”.  It wasn’t until I came here that I confirmed the validity of this statement. Whether it be the friend from class who is always there for hw help or the friend who knows more about you then you know yourself, you will make invaluable friendships here on the hill. I have met people who I never knew I would become so close to, and people who I relate to in so many different, unexpected ways. I hope to continue to meet such awesome people until graduation and perhaps even past senior year. Remember, these bonds are what truly make HC like home.
  3. Scenic CampusThough we all enjoy complaining about the forceful winds that make us run to class in the winter or the mountain we must trek when we forget something in our dorms, we cannot forget how beautiful HC is. How many instagrams do we need to prove this? Each season brings about a different beautiful element of campus. From the foliage to the ivy to the sick sunsets, HC is always gorgeous.
  4. KimballWhile at times we may get bored with the limited dining options on campus, nothing compares to having one main dining hall where you are guaranteed to see familiar faces and run into friends and classmates. Nothing beats losing track of time and sitting in Kimball for hours to eventually realize that our once casual conversation became super technical and deep. Plus who doesn’t like an unlimited buffet??
  5. Campion and CookiesIf you haven’t already discovered this treasure, I highly recommend you go visit the Campion house ASAP. Not only are there fresh baked cookies 24/7, but it’s also a super cozy study spot that feels just like home.
  6. HC Staff and FacultyFrom Sis who takes the time to call us all by name upon walking into Kimball to the cleaning staff in our dorms that generously make our dorms comfortable to live in to each professor and chaplain, the HC staff members are all amazing. They too add to the friendly culture on the hill, and are always open to exchanging hellos and helping us. With every conflict we may face here on the hill or any question we may have, there will always be someone to turn to! Remember to say thank you to these wonderful people this Thanksgiving season!

As the list could go on and on forever listing all of the great aspects of the school that we may forget to acknowledge, I must end here. Next time you find yourself complaining about something school related, remember to take a second to recall this list. Because nothing puts me in a better mood than remembering on the cold trek back to Clark that I can make a quick pit stop at Campion for a treat or that when buried in work in the depths of Dinand, temporarily isolated from my friends, they will be the friends I can call and cherish forever for years to come.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.