5 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Next Tailgate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

This Saturday is our last tailgate on the Hill, and it’s important for us to go out with a bang and support our football team. While Holy Cross is no SEC school, let’s show Bucknell that we’re not messing around when it comes to football (and tailgating) #SADERNATION.

1. Bring your car

It seems to be a habit of HC tailgaters to sit in, on, and around cars during tailgates, so if your car is tailgate-worthy, create a home-base for you and your friends by bringing your car! Claim your territory on Freshman Field with your car and your music, and not to mention it provides a convenient and efficient place to store you and your friends’ choice beverages for the day. Pack coolers, chairs, a change of clothes (for those who get down and dirty), and whatever else you may need that day, and leave it all in the car; no worries!

2. Food!

After a long morning of drinking in the sun, what more do you want around lunchtime than a full spread of food? Not only will your body thank you for feeding it something other than cheap beer and Mike’s Hards, but you’ll also get the energy you need to continue your day of debauchery and school spirit. Salsa, humus, fruit, veggies, cookies, and if you’re up to it, burgers and dogs; you and your pals will love the treats and you’re sure to make a few new friends while you feast.

3. Bring your own fun

What’s a tailgate without a little liquid spirit? Chances are the precarious walk down to Freshman Field will be a sobering experience as you sidestep down the massive grass hill in hopes of remaining upright and intact as you recite the familiar, “Don’t fall, don’t fall, don’t fall” in your head. With that being said, there are plenty of delicious tailgate mixes that will leave you fulfilled without sending you over the edge midday. Bring your own drinks, whether that’s in a cup, car, or cooler. You and your friends won’t have to depend on boys or other people for drinks, and you’ll have the best mix by far if you do a little preparation beforehand. (Google tailgate drink recipes or check these out http://www.chow.com/galleries/333/big-batch-drinks-for-a-tailgate#!7728/dirty-flower ).

4. Welcome back the alumni

Every tailgate hosts a plethora of alumni, so take advantage of the opportunity! Not only can you hear about the good old days, but you’re sure to get some quality advice, make connections, and watch little kids roll around in the dirt with a football. Also, as we all know, the best thing about alumni beer is that it’s free, not Natty Light, and offered frequently. Show them what they’ve been missing at HC and let them know that they can still hang no matter how long it’s been!

5. Actually go to the game

We all tailgate for a reason, let’s not forget it! Show the football team some love by actually going into the game. Whether you cheer on our boys or heckle the other team, you and your friends won’t regret being active and showing some school spirit #bleedpurple.

With these things in mind, your tailgate experience will be one for the books, and HC will surely get the W on and off the field.