4 Tips on How to Keep Calm During Holy Cross Midterm Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As fall break nears, Holy Cross students find themselves busier than ever.  Whether it’s studying for exams, writing papers, or preparing for a presentation, students inevitably will find themselves feeling stressed.  Here are some tips on how to “keep calm and study on” during midterm week.

1. Set GoalsWith all the work that we have, it’s important to stay organized. Personally, I find it most helpful to plan out my week and set deadlines for myself. As a result, it’s much easier to complete tasks at a gradual pace rather than feeling rushed and pressured.  Setting goals also helps you to avoid procrastination. Getting work done efficiently will definitely help to avoid stress, and you’ll feel great when you check something off of your “To-Do” List!
  2. Slow and Steady Wins the RaceHoly Cross is a place where students want to be challenged. Professors have high expectations for their students, and they obviously want us all to do well.  If you have an exam approaching, it’s best to study for a few days leading up to the exam rather than cramming in one night.  Furthermore, it’s a good idea to study early so you can ask your professor questions on the material. You’ll be more confident as you enter an exam if you paced yourself when studying.
  3. Three Words: Treat Yo SelfDuring times of high stress, I always like to find some “me” time.  It’s healthy to step away from your work sometimes, and who doesn’t like a little splurge on Netflix? If you’re feeling like you need to get away from campus for a few hours, there are plenty of options as well. Go on a little shopping spree at Blackstone, or if you’re craving something delicious head to Sweet on Shrewsbury Street! Taking a break is the perfect way to alleviate stress, and you’ll feel refreshed when you return to your work.
  4. Remember the RewardUnlike other schools, Holy Cross students are fortunate enough to have a fall break.  All of the work that looms over us in the week leading up to fall break is worth it in the end.  You’ll pass in the paper, you’ll complete the exam, and then you’re free (only for 10 days, but hey, it’s worth it)!  Just remember that your hard work will reward you in the end. You’re in the homestretch, and we’re all in this together!
Emma Garaban

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.