13 Things You’ll Experience When Going Through Roomie Withdrawal Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

So, you’ve recently been spending a substantial amount of time away from your roommate (significant other?). While, yes, it is nice not to have to share your food or socks or advil… Yes, many do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder. However, nothing quite beats being able to waltz into the room after class and being able to retell the days (or past hour’s) events to the one person who always (has to) listen. Here are some signs to tell if you’re going through roomie withdrawal:

1. Pillow talk is not the same when you’re alone. (lemme tell you, everything and anything comes out during this time!) 
  2. You’re suffering greatly without having two closets to use. 
  3. You have no one to sing and dance along to Taylor Swift with. 
  4. No one is there to distract you when watching Netflix or eating. 
  5. No one is there to tell you if your skirt is too short or if you’re wearing too much eyeliner before you go out. 
  6. When 9 pm rolls around on a Wednesday night while at home, it feels wrong not to start getting ready to go out. 
  7. Dancing around your house with only a towel turban on is frowned upon. 
  8. You have no one there to rationalize your crazy thoughts/questions. 
  9. You have no one to eat white cheddar Cheeze-it’s with at 1 am. 
  10. You hate having to wake up alone and bitter each morning.  
  11. Your gym activity has plummeted since your roommate isn’t there motivating you to go. 
  12. No one is there to make you mac and cheese after a long night out. 
  13. Your Saturday and Sunday brunches have become a lot less eventful and maybe less stressful too. (depending on if you get stressed wondering if you’ll see that certain someone at Kimball the next morning?)
Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.