10 Reasons You Ought to “Take the Journey” and Find Your SOUL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

A self-proclaimed barre enthusiast, I often prefer workouts which emphasize toning rather than sweat-dripping cardio.  However, over the course of the past few months, my #soulsisters and I have fallen totally in love with the heart-pumping, spirit-lifting, mind-blowing rides at Soul Cycle.  The authenticity of the instructor’s guidance and strength coupled with their unparalleled beats keep you cycling through some of the most physically and mentally grueling tracks, while the boundless energy that fills the room reaks of acceptance, positive transformation, and, some serious perspiration.  The awareness of commonality amongst riders with a spotlight on each individual’s worth is made clear by the instructors and reiterated in every pedal stroke.  My experiences at Soul Cycle have not only provided me the ability to exercise my body, but the opportunity to move forward on a journey, not alone, but with others, towards self acceptance.  Still looking for a little more motivation to clip in? I have got you covered!

1. It’s not a workout, it’s a full-fledged cardio party.

While I am a bit biased, and do find a great deal of pleasure in exercising, I wholeheartedly believe that even those who despise the gym will find themselves grinning (beneath a tidal wave of sweat) throughout the heart-pumping cardio dance sesh.

2. You sweat away your day, week, years worth of struggles.

Clear your mind, set your intentions, and pedal your way through everything you have been too afraid to face: from self blame, towards self acceptance.

3. You ride with the pack; you are not alone.

There’s something special about the energy and sense of community created in every soul studio that speaks to their intention of “collective consciousness” over competition.

4. Can you say BUMP THOSE BEATS?!

Each instructor masterfully constructs a playlist for each class that will blow. Your. mind.  Each tune is chosen with a specific goal in mind: you can expect to be pedalling to the METAL during fast-paced beats in contrast to slower tracks that call for some hot and seriously heavy strokes.  At SoulCycle, every rider rides to the beat, so you can literally FEEL the energy of the riders beside you while getting lost in the music.

5. The instructors are otherworldly…from their unmatched talent and passion to their authentic care for the pack and the individual.

6. The SWAG!

You will be graced with an array of trendy #athleisure meets drool worthy, sweat-wicking #soulstyle gear upon entering any and every bright & cheery studio.  The best part? Each new month gives way to a new collection of carefully curated, stylish product to suit your personality and, dare I say, ~sweaty style!~

7. The brand is growing, and that means the locations are, too!

If you decide to hit the road and head to one of three Boston area locations, you may find yourself experiencing FOMO at Soul while at home…but have no fear!  The possibility that a studio is in reach is likely.

8.  It’s more than “just cardio”.

It truly is an uplifting experience that can translate into a positive outlook and lifestyle.

9. Your heart, mind, and soul with thank you.

At every Soul Cycle class every facet of you is exercised in a beneficial manner.  Your heart becomes stronger, your mind is cleared of anxieties, and your self-esteem rises.

10. Each ride is a metaphor for your life: what you feel, experience, face and overcome within every single class transforms you.

Alicia Perry

Holy Cross

Sophomore and History and English double major at the College of the Holy Cross