5 Most Awesome Things about Roanoke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

One of the best things about the Roanoke area – besides the beautiful Blue Ridge scenery, of course – is the unexpected culture. As a New Englander, I admit I came to Hollins and Southwest Virginia expecting deep southern accents, Confederate flags, and pickup trucks. While Roanoke doesn’t lack these features, their main attractions are actually ones of coffee and hipster or alternative culture.

As one of the larger cities in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the town is home to a broad range of people. One of the most popular spots is the Park, a night club which is all about LGBTQA(+) pride. Hollins students regularly comment on the exciting drag shows that help boost the feeling of community in the area and connects Hollins students to greater Roanoke. Although the Park closed during the fall semester, its return has been nothing short of phenomenal with much support from the locals in its rebirth.

Coffee, a college life staple, is abundant in the area as well. While popular chains like Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts provide plenty of caffeine for our sleep-deprived students, it’s places like Mill Mountain (with locations in both downtown Roanoke and Daleville) and Land of a Thousand Hills (also in Daleville) which draw the Hollins crowd. The atmospheres at both of these local businesses cater to the creative crowd with excellent comfort food, plenty of beverage options, and the struggling-artist-at-a-café feel so many of us crave.

Roanoke is not short of art, either. Both Mill Mountain and Land of a Thousand Hills hang the works of local artists on their walls and downtown has even more to offer with the Taubman Museum of Art and other galleries. The artistic community thrives in many forms, including musical (Opera Roanoke and the many festivals which grace the outdoor stage in downtown Roanoke), visual (Market Gallery, Gallery 108, and Signature 9, among others), and performance (Mill Mountain Theatre and the recently-closed Studio Roanoke). The area has plenty to offer students who hanker for a little more color in their lives.

Local business, too, extend warm welcomes to visitors and residents of Roanoke. Popular shops downtown include the ever-delicious Chocolate Paper (a store mainly vending candies and stationery along with other novelty items), La De Da (a boutique with excellent window displays), Beads Indeed! (jewelry making supplies for the crafty), and dozens of other quaint shops dot the streets of downtown Roanoke.

For individuals who enjoy an organic lifestyle – or who just enjoy some fresh, local food – the Roanoke Farmer’s Market is an excellent option. Downtown Roanoke’s website advises residents with the following schedule: “The Market hours are 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, although many vendors use Sunday, Monday and Tuesday for planting, picking, and preparing items for sale. In growing season, many vendors are on the Market around 7:00 a.m. and leave around 3:00 p.m.” This Her Campus correspondent recommends Saturday and Sunday late morning to early afternoon in spring and fall. The crowds can be a bit overwhelming, but Roanoke’s general hospitality makes it all more than bearable.

Where are some of your favorite local spots?

I grew up in New Hampshire writing frequently and reading always. After high school, I began my English/Creative Writing degree at Hollins University in Virginia. My aspirations include becoming a young adult librarian and writing for the same audience.