4 Awesome Ways to Utilize Social Media on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Hollins is never short of activity, both in reality and online. Many students have social media accounts that allow them to stay in touch with each other when leaving the comfort of their dorm is just too much. Some use social media as a distraction from assignments or work. Others like to use it to help them get that work done or to facilitate other things they do on campus. With Student Government Association (SGA) elections coming up, Hollins women are already receiving invitations to join online groups supporting some of the candidates. The every-bubbly Georden West (2015) started a page on Facebook recently already boasts 267 members. She keeps her page fun and engaging with various photo edits she’s done advertising her interest in the position as SGA President, a title currently held by Gabby Awuma (2014). Facebook is a great way to get others on campus excited about things that you’re excited about. A few years previous, I began a campagin for what I called Write a Letter Day. With the help of some of my friends, the event page I created on Facebook grew to over 1,000 members and the event was a huge success. Students often think of Facebook when planning a party, but the site can be just as useful for pursuits with greater relation to campus functions.

Pinterest is another popular platform for students looking to get more out of their time at Hollins. Departments across campus take advantage of Pinterest to help keep a catalog of ideas for events. Chaplain Jenny Call is one of the most avid Hollins Pinners, with a profile that that holds ninety-three boards with a whopping 4,599 pins. While many of her pins are for her personal life and is a great tool for advertising her blog, Called, she also maintains several boards for her work on campus. During J-Term, Jenny hosted a Pinterest party during which students were invited to select a project from Pinterest which they would complete at the Chapel. This group created personalized necklaces made with washers. 

In addition to Facebook and Pinterest, Hollins women have sought out Tumblr as a third social media/blogging site to connect with other students and alumnae. A mystery student runs the populat blog Hollins Girl Problems, which typically uses gifs to elicit giggles from its audience. The blog takes a lot of hints and relevant reblogs from a similar Tumblr, whatshouldbetchescallme. The candidness of Hollins Girl Problems makes relating to its posts easily, especially for students who attend such a unique school. Plenty of students also make use of the “hollins” tag on Tumblr. Occasionally, prospective students also post under this tag. On numerous occasions, these prospective students have been met with an overwhelming willingness to help answer questions and soothe any fears from students already on campus. Because Tumblr requires usernames as opposed to real names like Facebook, its easier for Hollins students to post without being afraid of judgment if they choose to remain anonymous (both literally and in the sense of sharing little information about themselves).

Like the Chapel, the Career Center also has a favorite platform. LinkedIn pops up frequently in conversations and presentations with Career Center Director Ashley Glenn. In order to assist current and former Hollins students in connecting with each other for job purposes, Hollins University Alumnae/i has been created. The group contains over 1600 members so far and continues to grow. The Hollins alumnae network is always a good place to start when searching for job and internship opportunities and LinkedIn has made it even easier. Laura Tuggle Anderson, the group’s top contributor, posts many alumnae and student achievements on the page for discussion. 

Although social media sites are great places to just have fun and communicate, they’re also incredibly useful on college campuses. What other ways can you think of to broaden your college experience using sites like these? How have you seen social media used effectively in this context? Are there other social media-like sites that you think should be included in this list? Let us know in the comments below!

I grew up in New Hampshire writing frequently and reading always. After high school, I began my English/Creative Writing degree at Hollins University in Virginia. My aspirations include becoming a young adult librarian and writing for the same audience.