A Local Hero to a Public Monstrosity: Living Life as Ray Rice’s Neighbor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

What comes to your mind when you hear the name Ray Rice?

Domestic violence? Wife beater? A monster? I have heard them all. Yet, I would label him something quite different.

To me, he is my neighbor.

This does not mean that I condone his violent behavior toward his wife. Domestic Violence Awareness is the largest philanthropy I commit my time to. Yet, I do believe that there is more than one side to an individual.

Though the world views Rice as a horrible individual who should never set foot on a football field again, I see the torment his family is put through.

To many in our neighborhood, Ray Rice was a hero.

Hard to believe isn’t it?

When our family friend Katie found out she had terminal cancer, Rice took the time to get to know her parents, spend time with her family, and even dedicated a Ravens vs. Steelers game to her in her honor.

Her parents had worked with him through his organization and fundraisers, and he truly took them and their daughter under his wing. 

When she passed, he sent the largest arrangement of flowers he could find, along with a hand written note expressing his heartfelt condolences.

It was as if he wore his heart on his sleeve.

Simpler events would include seeing him running in the morning, and having a quick chat with neighbors who were out and about. When I would return home for school breaks, I would see him out in the neighborhood and talk with him expressing my love for one class and my hatred for another.

He always questioned and, most importantly, he always listened.

I am not sure if he even truly cared about my time at High Point University, but he always allowed me to believe that he did.

Now when I return home for fall break, the neighborhood will be missing someone.

Though he still lives down the street, I doubt I will see him running in the morning. He no longer leaves the house unless he has the need to run an errand. He hides his face from the public’s ridicule and does not stop to talk to neighbors like he used to.

You all may view him as a horrible man, but to us, we have lost our neighbor.

His family is hurting.

The community feels a deep loss, as if losing a close friend.

I am not asking that you forgive this man for his crime towards his wife. Rather I am asking that you see the entire picture.

Everyone has committed mistakes in the past; wishing they could move past them and hoping others would forget them.

Why should Rice’s mistakes be any different?

Why should the public forget the wonderful acts of kindness he has done for the community, and instead only focus on the negative attention the media is capturing?

Many do not see the loving kiss he places on his wife’s lips as he left for work in the morning.

Others do not know how wonderful of a father he is, as he would walk around the neighborhood with his daughter beaming with pride and joy.

Though is crime is unforgettable at this current moment in time, think of how their family will be left in shambles after the media craze.

They will be picking up the pieces of their lives, as you watch the news or even a game unaware of how this incident has left them.

Many of you will keep your current opinions of Mr. Rice. Others may take these personal testimonies to heart.

I challenge you to take a different outlook on this situation. See this situation through his eyes, and question the mistakes you have made in the past.

You may have received a second chance. Why shouldn’t he?

Grace Beal

High Point

Grace Elizabeth Beal is a Senior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina. She is a founding sister of the Kappa Omicron chapter of Alpha Chi Omega, and works with the Ritual and Fraternity Board. She is also a member of Lambda Pi Eta, is an International Ambassador, a Peer Mentor, a Student Justice, and works as a Program Assistant for The Women's and Gender Studies Program. Grace also spends her time writing for the Campus Chronicle and hosts her own show on HPU's radio station HPUR The Sound. Grace will graduate in May 2015 with a degree in Communications Journalism, and with a Political Science and Women's and Gender Studies minor.