The Best Meals To Eat On Campus That You’ve Probably Never Tried

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Let’s be honest. We’re in college, and sometimes…okay, all of the time, money is tight. We can’t always go to Barberitos or Blue Rock Pizza or Penny Path or Carolina’s Diner–no matter how much we want to. Don’t get me wrong, eating at these places every once in a while is fine, and definitely worth the extra cash, but eventually it adds up, and let’s be real, as college students, eating out is far from our only expense. While eating at the same food places on campus can start to get a little boring, if you really look at the menus, you may notice some hidden gems that you’ve never even tried. I think I find something new at each dining location every time I go to one. And while trying new and sort of questionable food is sometimes scary, it can also be quite the entertaining time as well. Here are some of the best options to eat at each meal-plan dining location on campus.

The Bakery (magic meal)

I used to be a hardcore fan of the Pesto Chicken Panini at the Bakery. Then I went into a California Turkey phase, and now that I’m out of that I really enjoy the Chicken Caesar Salad. I didn’t think it would fill me up, but the chicken definitely makes it heartier, and you still get a side! Another great and healthy option that pretty much works for any meal of the day is The Veg Out. This is a new addition to menu, and has quickly become one of my favorites. It’s one of the healthiest options on the menu but the portion size is actually pretty big and protein from the egg and the wrap keeps you full.

The Point (magic meal)

I’m going to be honest. The Point and I have had our ups and downs in the past. It’s definitely the one place on campus that I have to be in the mood for. However, what drew me to The Point the first time I ever went my freshman year was the fact that they had SWEET POTATO FRIES! Sweet potato fries are my weakness, and anytime a restaurant serves them, I have no choice but to order them. I’ve tried a few things on the menu at The Point, but I always go back to the Avocado Turkey Wrap with sweet potato fries. The wrap isn’t to bad health wise, and it’s something light to go with the fries since they can be kind of filling. And of course, I can’t mention The Point without mentioning the Killer Cookie. I mean, it’s called the Killer Cookie. Need I say more?

The Farmer’s Market (meal swipe)

The Farmer’s Market is always a great lunch option. It’s that place you force yourself to go to on a daily basis to justify the dessert you are probably going to eat later and the fact that you may or may not have skipped the gym again today. It’s okay though because sometimes they actually have really a good sandwiches that come hot off the press everyday. The salad bar, soup, and pita chips are always available too. Their turkey chili is the best chili you’ll everhave, and you can hold me to that. And if by chance you are willing to splurge a little mid-day, Farmers has a fro-yo bar. You’re welcome.

The Café (meal swipe)

Don’t lie. We all know that sometimes we run out of magic meals early in the week from all of those Starbucks or Jamba Juices we needed to have at the time, or sometimes we are just plain lazy. Your best option at this point? The Café. I’d be lying if I said the Café hasn’t had some pretty darn good breakfast days. I live for the days when they have strawberries or the parfait bar and pastries. And my go-to option if all else fails: the omelet bar. Omelets work for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so they are always a safe choice.

The Silver Line Diner (meal swipe)

Okay, I’m confused as to why it took until my sophomore year at HPU to realize the awesomeness of The Diner. My friends and I have gone there everyday for the past three days and none of us even live in North College Court, so if that doesn’t tell you how much we love it, I don’t know what will. My personal favorites are the french toast sticks and the teriyaki chicken noodle bowl. They serve breakfast all day–that’s right, you heard me. All. Day. The Diner has so many options for every meal of the day, and honestly, I would eat there for every meal, and I’m pretty surprised I haven’t yet. I’m serious. If you’ve let the Diner slip under your radar, you need to go NOW.

The Grille (meal swipe)

The Grille has a reputation for the best (only) pizza on campus, and that is true, but there is hidden treasure that’ll you’ll find if you scroll a little farther down on the Tapingo app. This gem is the “create your own sandwich” option. If you decide you need a break from The Bakery when it comes to satisfying your sandwich craving, the Deli at the Grille is definitely worth a try. It allows you to customize your sandwich by choosing the bread, meat, toppings, sauce, and more. There are also plenty of delicious signature sandwiches on the menu to try as well!

So, now you know! Now go jump out of your comfort zone and try some new things. And of course, don’t forget Subway and Chic-Fil-A on the days you’re feeling particularly chain-restaurant-y. 

Mollie McKinley is currently a rising junior at High Point University in High Point, North Carolina, where she studies English Literature with a double minor in communications and women and gender studies. Mollie is a proud sister of Alpha Gamma Delta, a High Point University swimmer, and serves as a campus correspondent for High Point's chapter of Her Campus. She works as a Writing Tutor for HPU's Writing Center, and has a love for dogs, creative writing, poetry, netflix and music. Mollie's biggest aspiration is to work as a humor writer for Buzzfeed, or for any online media, really. Mollie is a strong supporter of gender equality and loving yourself, although it can be hard a majority of the time. Mollie is originially from West Virginia with an endless passion for the outdoors, and really awesome hikes.