Behind The Scenes of a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

There is so much that goes behind the scenes of a sorority that people looking from the outside don’t understand. Sororities are much more than mixers, t-shirts, and cute pictures. Girls have to put a lot of time and effort into being a part of a one. In addition to being in a sorority, my sisters manage to be a part of other organizations and clubs. Just proving how strong and hardworking sorority women are.The reason I joined Alpha Chi Omega was because our philanthropy means a lot to me. Each sorority has a different philanthropy that i’m sure each member is passionate about. Each sorority raises an amount of money to donate to different organizations supporting their cause. Making, planning, and running philanthropy events is not an easy task. (Trust me, I know as past VP of Philanthropy!) Sorority women have to learn event management, financial planning skills, and how to get a job done well.

Most sororities also have to reach a certain volunteer quota to hit standards. Sorority women give back to their communities through philanthropy, as well as volunteer work. We are all caring and dedicated humans who want to make a difference in the world. Sororities volunteer at retirement homes, churches, childcare places, etc. Alpha Chi Omega, Kappa Omicron volunteered at the Special Olympics last year and it was such an amazing experience.

Sorority women care and work hard for their grades. You came to college for an education and just happened to fall in love with a sorority on the way. Your first and primary worry should always be school. Every sorority has a different required GPA minimum to be a member. Sorority women must do well in school and stay focused on getting good grades. While managing everything else I just talked about!

However a way that makes studying easier is… study hours. (Not every sorority has them, but a lot do! I totally recommend them though!) If you don’t know what study hours are- they are an administered number of hours a week you should be in the library studying and sisters are there to clock you in and out. Study hours have proven to be very helpful in achieving better grades because they hold you accountable to getting work done. Plus, who doesn’t enjoy studying with sisters?

When you’re on the outside looking in you may not understand the whole “sisterhood” thing, but it really is a bond. Sorority women share moments, secrets, and life with each other which brings us together and forms a connection that’s kind of unexplainable. Not every sorority women clicks (or even gets along) with every sister… but they understand what being a sister means and would still pick them up at 3 a.m. from the bar if they needed someone. Because you know in some way that every sister is a sister for a reason and you both are a part of such an amazing organization.

I got to go to Alpha Chi Omega’s Leadership Academy 2015 this winter and see first hand that the bond between sisters is real. Even though I had never met these girls in my life, I felt an instant connection with them and felt like they accepted me for who I was. It’s an amazing thing being a part of a sorority and knowing you are a part of a huge tradition that’s been practiced for years. There’s sisters all over the world that I will get to meet and connect with. Come on… that’s pretty cool.

Since I am in a sorority, I know all the hardwork and dedication sorority women must have to be a part of their organization. Over the years of being a part of a sorority, sorority women learn various life skills: time management, event management, communications skills, group work, financial planning, advertising skills, etc. (And networking!) Getting a room of over 100 girls to be quiet and pay attention is not an easy task.

Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed