Welcome to the Malmi Airport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

They always tell about cool things after they happen, right? Right. So on 11th -13th of September this year, OpenHouseHelsinki allowed visitors in buildings and other architectural points of interest that aren’t usually open for public.

Being the aviation nerd that I am, I headed to Malmi airport on Sunday 13th. The terminal building itself is naturally always open for public and is, in fact, worth visiting any day. Europa Nosrta Finland chose Malmi Airpost as the most endangered cultural heritage site of Finland in 2015.

However on that day, the public was also allowed to enter the runways. A guide led the group among the small aircrafts and told about the history of the airport. Seeing those small aircrafts up close was rather shocking: they are actually tiny!

No matter how historical (and much loved by many) the Malmi Airport is, there’re plans to pull it down and build new housing on the grounds. Many petitions have been made to save the airport.

P .S. They also serve an amazing brunch with a view, totally recommended!

Helsinki Contributor