Touring London for (Almost) Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Many of us English students (and students in general) take a trip to London at some point during our university career: it’s a fun city, there’s lots to do, it’s nearby and you can find cheap flights. However, it is not always the cheapest as a location – in fact, many tourist attractions are a bit pricey. Here are some tips on what you can do there for free (not including the underground fare, of course).

Grab the underground to Embankment, London Bridge or some of the other stations along the river Thames. From there you can easily walk along the river and enjoy the scenery while also eyeing the major sights like the London Eye and Big Ben. There are also some food stands usually to be found on both sides of the river, so you can grab a cheap bite on the go.

If you walk past the London Eye to Big Ben, you should also check out the gorgeous Westminster Abbey next to the houses of Parliament (Westminster Palace). The Abbey has an admittance fee but you can walk around it and enjoy the architecture for free. Also, if you wish to see the inside of the church, just go to the evensong and you won’t be charged. The service lasts for an hour and you can admire the building while listening to the choir sing.

The famous British Museum is one of the best places to go in London that’s completely free. You are encouraged, of course, to make a donation but it is free for everyone. And there’s loads to see! The museum features everything from ancient Egypt to Enlightenment. You can spend hours exploring and you won’t get bored.

Kenwood House is also another free of charge attraction, situated in Hampstead. If you want a day away from the bustle of the inner city, go for a visit in the lovely building that looks like something straight out of a Jane Austen novel.

Of course, during the summer you can also go and enjoy a day in one of the many gorgeous parks in London. They are all near underground stations and are popular among the locals as well.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.