SUB’s 43rd Anniversary Dinner Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Last Friday SUB ry, the subject organization of the English students, celebrated its 43rd year and English students turned up in huge numbers to raise a glass in honor of the organization. The evening started with the congratulatory speeches from the other organizations and a glass of sparkling. After the initial celebrations, the dinner started with a lovely, warm bowl of soup. As the main course, we had a delicious steak, which gave us energy for all the singing.

The guest speaker was Nely Keinänen, who was named the teacher of the year last December. Her speech about being scared of voicing our opinions and the environment of valuing male voices over female ones resonated in all of us. Nely received huge applauds afterwards, and it was clear her words made the evening even more special.

Naturally, it being an academic dinner party, there was a massive amount of singing and not many of us managed to finish our meal before it was cold. But that’s the fun of sitsit. The charming puking-picture below is from the Humanisticum songbook that we had our noses glued to all night long.

I think we all loved to get all dressed up for once, and it was great to see everyone having so much fun in the midst of the busy spring semester. We heard so many “traditional”songs like the “Lumberjack” song and “Fuksilaulu” that seemed to bring everyone together. Everyone also enjoyed an adrenaline-inducing performance by a fun band, and the fun definitely continued all the way to the after party.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.