A Student-Budget Mini Vacation: Roadtripping to Loviisa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Are you in need for some time-off from all your course work and exam preparation? Would you love a vacation but don’t have the money or the time? If you want to see new places, you don’t always have to go abroad or even too far from Helsinki. Earlier this year my boyfriend and I rented a car for a week and drove away to search for the hidden treasures of Finland. On the first day we ended up in Loviisa which is a cute small town about an hour’s drive away from Helsinki, right next to Porvoo.

The first thing that I noticed was the adroable old-fashioned carpets painted on the street!

It seems that the people in Loviisa are artsy in other ways, too, or what do you make of this cutest little cottage that is actually a switch board?

Right next to the city centre you can stroll around on quiet streets surrounded by old wooden houses in pastel colors.

If you love unique decors, pay a visit to Krinti (Kuningattarenkatu 2), a small lifestyle shop where you can get adorable pieces like this carpet that was made by the owner’s sister-in law!

And after you get tired, why not head to Café Vaherkylä (Aleksanterinkatu 2), a cute little coffee shop, for a cup of coffee or tea and the best apple pie ever.

All photos (c) Pinja Lehtiheimo

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.