Planning Your Future: How to Make the Right Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This is no land of gods and monsters, this is reality with multiple choices for those who are privileged. How does one know which path to choose?

“Where do you see yourself in five years?” they often ask at job interviews. The right question would be, where do you want to see yourself in five years. You don’t have to know. You just need to understand all the possibilities you have.

There is no right or wrong choice. You may step into the woods and realise that this is not for me. You don’t have to go back, there is no such thing. Just keep walking. You can always choose again and it doesn’t mean failing. Walking away doesn’t mean giving up.

How do you know what the next step is? You simply don’t. I love the idea of the advice of following one’s gut. It doesn’t always lead somewhere, not when you’re lost in the dark trying to find the way home. Sometimes it can replace a flashlight when you may actually feel that something isn’t right. It’s enough to know what you do not want.

When studying at the university, we all struggle with the same questions regarding our future: Where do our studies take us? Is this what I want? Will I become something? You already are something. You are enough. At times, you just need to ask the right questions. It doesn’t matter what others think. The only thing that matters is what you think.

Last week I realised that the most important question for myself was: is this what I want? For a long time, I was afraid to ask that question because I already knew the answer. I came up with a new plan and suddenly felt as though a weight lifted off my shoulders. I chose otherwise and ain’t I glad I did. Don’t force yourself to do anything. Ask yourself questions. Choose them yourself. It’s your life. Live it to the fullest.

Kukka

Helsinki '23

English major and an aspiring activist who mostly chills with her dogs or reads books.